DF 90 with MAP sensor " comes on at times "

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF 90 with MAP sensor " comes on at times "

I have a 2003 DF 90 which has the MAP sensor flashing on the tachometer which flashes 3 times and then two times. I changed the MAP Sensor and it ran for about an hour and then when I put the motor down to about an idle the MAP alarm came back on again and then later on it went off. The MAP sensor signal flashing 3 times and then 2 times seems to come and go. I know that there is something wrong, but the motor runs ok, just that darn BEEP. One other thing, the motor does not start right up, it may take a couple of times as it seems to not want to run right away, but after a couple of tries it runs fine. I have not noticed a lack of power or anything, but I know something is not right. Some have mentioned a CRACK in the engine saddle, I hope that is not the case with mine, if that was an issue would the motor still run good?

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

PS : the motor has about 1k hours on it.

was the little hole under the map sensor clean , that goes into the inlet manifold

Comment

DF 90 with MAP sensor " comes on at times "

When I removed the MAP Sensor I looked at the " little hole " in the intake and even sprayed carburetor cleaner in it. The hole did not seem to be obstructed at all. I did check the voltage on the Map Sensor, it had the 5 volts coming at the RED wire and the center wire had about 3.4 volts and when I drew a vaccine on the MAP sensor the voltage did fluctuate. From my understanding the center lead should have had the 5 volts also ? , that is why I changed the Map sensor, I did not check the voltage on the Map sensor I replaced it with.

After I replaced the Map sensor I ran the motor with the MUFFS, the code was on at that time and I shut the motor off and then started it again a couple of times and then the CODE WENT OFF.

I took the boat to the lake I ran the boat across the lake for about an hour and it ran fine, " no code came up " Then when I lowered the RPM down to about an idle the code came up and stayed up until I shut the motor off at the dock to get ready to load the boat. When I started the motor up to load the boat the code did NOT come up again????

I replaced the Map Sensor I replaced it with one of the same part number, but it was not off a boat motor, it was off a car, but crossed over with the same part number, from what I understood the part is the same.

I did take the boat to a Suzuki boat place and they did put the computer on the motor and it did show the MAP Sensor code. When I told the boat mechanic that I checked the voltage, he said well the wiring is OK then. I did mention to the boat mechanic that I sprayed carburetor cleaner in the intake hole he said that was OK.

The scary thing is that I read on the Internet that some find the ECM is the problem and some say a CRACK in the engine cradle can cause the MAP Sensor problem, just not sure what to do at this point. I did not see any problem with the RPM at all, but I only ran it up to around 5200 that day.

?? If the ECM or even a crack in the engine cradle was true, why would the motor run so good and not have an issue with RPM or power and run smooth?, it did start a little hard as it seemed to not want to stay running, but after the second try it started and ran fine, it has done this as long as I have had the motor which has not been that long.

Comment

Map

I have been chasing thids problem for weeks , i have rebuilt my140 including a new head and still get the bad code , check map readings all ok
        29 white 0.20 - 4.53v Ignition on
        11 b/w ground for sensor
        35 red power for map approx 5v ignition on
        Looking like a bad ecm . I removed the connection and got both codes map 1 and 2, Manifold presure only changes when the motor is running so why am i reciving error whith ignition on only
        just push the ignition key in and the buzzing stops

Comment

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/a...1&d=1283016776

Not sure if this attachment will work or not, I have tried it several times now. I found the problem with my motor, or I feel I have anyway. If the attachment does come through it will show a hole in the motor mid section close to the water flush nozzle.
          Attached Files

Comment

looks like you have it ..so what are you going to do bog it up and keep using the motor and repair it during winter or do it now ?

Comment

Mitch,

I cleaned around the hole very good with a wire brush on my drill and then repaired the hole with two layers of JB Weld. I have had reports of others using the JB weld and they said it worked for them. If the patch holds then I will keep an eye on it and hopefully run the rest of the season here in TN and then in the Winter months I may change the part. The cost of a new part is about $460.00 and that is not including some gaskets. I guess what bothers me is if I change the part, will I get another part with the same FLAW in it? The motor did come from a salt water area and that I am sure is what caused the corrosion in that area of the part, but that also makes me feel like that area of the part is flawed to start with?

I hope to run the motor today on the muffs and then if it does not leak I will put the side panels and hood on it and take it to the Lake and give it a good trial run.

Comment

Map sensor STILL comes on at times

Even though I patched the hole in the motor oil pan, the Map Sensor still comes on at times? Kind of getting sick of the flashing light, but I have tried about everything. I had the motor checked at a Suzuki dealer and just the map sensor code came up. So far I see no evidence of something causing the problem. I always strive to have things work as they should and yet this one seems to be something wired.

I guess the next item to look at in more detail is the linkage and all of the hoses, but so far nothing seems to be a problem. The RPM on the motor is a little HIGH, I will check that part out. The motor does run very good, power and rpm are ok.

Comment

Working...
                X