Pitot fitting question on DT140

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitot fitting question on DT140

I'm a novice boater who owns a Suzuki DT140 2-stroke outboard. On top of the lower unit near the front there is a nipple and hose which I believe is for a pitot speedometer.

I broke the fitting when swapping the water pump. I have ordered a replacement. But was wondering about it. Mine has a bung in the pipe and it appears to do nothing. Is it because its there in order that one might fit a pitot speedometer? (I have no speedometer) ?

And is this hole supposed to lead elsewhere and is open to the water? Only I ask because I cant tell. MIne appears blocked and even filling with water doesnt drain. Should I try and open it up - but is the route to somewhere elaborate or might i just drill it out.

Thank you.

if you don't have a speedo then ignore it and forget about replacing it, they aren't accurate anyway.

it most likely got plugged years ago and has solidified in the tube so if you ever wanted to use it as a speedo then it might be worth the effort to replace the nipple and clear the passageway. to clear the passage you just run a thin stiff wire in it to break up the clump of mud that is most likely what is in there

Comment

Working...
    X