Shop "Screw" up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop "Screw" up

I can't believe this. This spring I had two brand new DF300's installed on my 27 foot aluminum cruiser. The motors now have about 40 hours on them. Yes, I did the 20 hour oil change. Anyway, upon inspecting the boat before a cruise last weekend, I discovered the propellers - Mercury performance props - could slide back and forth on the shaft between 1/4 and 1/3 inch. Also, when slid back there was enough play such that the front of the props could be wiggled up and down! I contacted the shop, and they sheepishly admit they failed to install the aft adapters. It's like a washer that partially fits over the splines, and is thick enough so when the nut is tightened the whole unit is snug. As it is now, with the nut completely tightened, the 1/4 to 1/3 inch of play exists. My question - due to the incorrect installation of the props could there be damage to the motors, drive shaft, etc.?
    Last edited by SeaForTwo; 08-19-2014, 12:51 PM.

I don't think internally there could be any problem but the splines and the prop hubs may have some abnormal wear if it went on a long time.

since you say you only have 40 hours on them and you feel no side to side play in the fit on the shaft, I don't think there should be an issue but a very close inspection of the splines in the hub and on the shaft is needed and I would look for any missing paint or wear marks from direct contact between the prop hub and the gearbox because of the missing thrust washer

Comment

Thanks, Keacar!

Comment

Working...
      X