Identifying my Engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying my Engine.

OK first time post for me. I have bought a (what I was led to believe is a) Suzuki DT 8hp short shaft. The serial number tag is missing and I was wondering is there any way I can identify this engine. The casing is a grey silver colour. I have a suspicion that someone has put the wrong carb on it as the one on mine has the plunger in the top and all the ones on the Brown's Parts List all look different. Also the timing advance ring was cable tied in one position, and no link to the carb (although there is no place on the carb to take the link). Needless to say it does not run well with irratic reving and its not producing the power that I was expecting. All the very best, Nathan.

Nathan, the best (almost only) hope the get help on this issue here would be to post some pictures of the motor. Someone might recognise the model that way.

Comment

Many thanks for your quick reply Moonlighter. Will take some now.

Comment

With a quick perusal of the parts diagrams on this website, you're engine cover is from a 1983 or newer 8HP, but the carburetor is from a 1979 or earlier 7.5HP or smaller. And in looking at another diagram (cylinder diagram), it looks like the motor is in fact the '83 or later 8HP. It's definitely not the correct carb for that motor. You're also missing several other components on the motor, the most obvious being the interlock cable assembly from the starter (where that green wire is twisted to hold the little stopper arm to the cable bracket).
        Last edited by Harper2; 09-04-2014, 09:15 AM.
        Mike

Comment

Many thanks mike. I thought the carb did not match the parts list. I think I might have sourced one for it. Good to know it is a 8hp though. Also I am only getting 28ohms between the red/white and black wires coming out of the 'Pulsar Coil' where as the manual says i should get 70 -100ohms. So may need to change that out as well. All the best, Nathan.

Comment

Oh just one other thing. There are two cables coming from my handle. I don't suppose you can tell me where they both go? All the best, Nathan.

Comment

Working...
            X