DF 225: 3 3 Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF 225: 3 3 Code

Here is one to think about: I have twin DF 225's with a 3 3 code on the stbd engine. Port engine had a 1 2 code. Cleared the 1 2 code on the port motor. No longer a code present on that engine. Stbd engine SPS vdc reading was out of spec for ntrl, fwd, and rev. Adjusted to sensor so volts are now in spec and reading as such. SDS reads the SPS respectively but shows the Neutral Switch as always on regardless of throttle position therefore registering to the EMC that the motor is always in neutral and will therefore tap the rev limit with throttling up. Checked the Neutral Switch at the motor with good results, switch reads open and closed through meter respectively. Tested the Neutral switch in binnacle and it to reads open and closed through the meter respectively. To eliminate the possibility of the ECM being faulty, I switched the ECM with the one on the port motor and the code cleared on the port engine but the ECM from the port, now on stbd, coded with 3 3. ECM is out of question. Checked for grounded wires from switch and sensor and no luck, checked the junction behind the ECM and got good readings through the wires, checked grounds and all were good there. I used a breakout tool I created with a tach, key switch, and ESS wired into a wire harness connector so I can test Suzuki outboards without ever getting in the boat. When starting the motor with the breakout tool, code cleared. Isolated the problem to the wire harness. Knowing Suzuki key switch do crazy things I swapped the port and stbd key switches. Code stayed on stbd engine and no code on port. I then took a wire harness used to connect to one harness that isn't quite long enough to extend it to reach the motor and plugged it into the port wire harness and then to the stbd engine harness (essentially using the port harness for the stbd engine) and even moved the power from the white wire on the port to the stbd. Code on the Stbd engine cleared thus confirming my findings earlier that the problem lies in the stbd wire harness. But out of curiosity I the same extension harness and plugged it into the stbd wire harness and to the port engine harness (in theory the code should now be on the port engine if the problem is in the harness), no code. Plugged stbd harness back to stbd engine (with code cleared from previous clearing of port harness) and code came back. I did this same test a couple of times to confirm and got the same results each time. So this test now shows the stbd wire harness good, pins good, tach, NSS in binnacle, and key switch for the stbd side good as well. Any ideas, thoughts?

Well, you've done a good job of analyzing the situation, and I think you still might find eventually that it's the starboard harness. In all the swapping that you did to check the code, did you actually run the motors wired up in all those configurations (and also attempt to accelerate to above 3000 RPM), or did you just turn the keys on to check for the code?
    Mike

Comment

Working...
    X