is a partial broken impeller ok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is a partial broken impeller ok

i have a 1982 dt25hp two of the bit/fins on the impeller have broken off. they are oppisite each other and there is stil 4 in good condition is this still ok to run until i get another impeller? i have removed the thermostat completely as well.

I would replace the impeller. You've no idea why those couple of pieces are broken off, but probably due to age and use, which means also that you have no idea when the rest of it will start coming apart, leaving you stranded somewhere. And if you value your motor, you should replace the thermostat. It's there to ensure that your motor runs at operating temperature. Running too cold all the time is not good. Did you remove it because of an overheating problem? All the more reason to replace your impeller.
    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Harper2 View Post
      I would replace the impeller. You've no idea why those couple of pieces are broken off, but probably due to age and use, which means also that you have no idea when the rest of it will start coming apart, leaving you stranded somewhere. And if you value your motor, you should replace the thermostat. It's there to ensure that your motor runs at operating temperature. Running too cold all the time is not good. Did you remove it because of an overheating problem? All the more reason to replace your impeller.
      mike,
      i removed the thermostat to check water flow and isolate the problem before i pulled the lower unit off. i will get a new impeller before i take it out.
      you are right but was just wanting another opinion on the matter!

Comment

You need to locate and remove any broken off pieces of the impeller or they will block something up, potentially causing overheating problems even after a new impeller is installed.

Comment

Originally posted by nelbur View Post
          You need to locate and remove any broken off pieces of the impeller or they will block something up, potentially causing overheating problems even after a new impeller is installed.
          yeah i found the pieces,
          thanks

Comment

Working...
          X