More issues with DT20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More issues with DT20

I posted a while back about my DT20 smoking a lot. I got that all figured out. I rebuilt the carb, adjusted the idle screw properly and ran some seafoam through it. I could tell right away after that the engine instantly ran a whole lot better. I've been running it ever since, top speed of 30mph on my 12' inflatable and can troll all day long at 4mp/h with no issues and has pretty decent fuel economy. It now puffs smoke once on cold start up and never puffs again after that.

Now I'm getting an issue with it smoking during deceleration. Smoke is white, and only happens with slowing down and then right afterwards while idling for a couple minutes. I know white smoke means water, so I'm thinking possible internal headgasket issue allowing water to enter the combustion chamber during heavy engine vacuum (ie. while decelerating). It also has a consistent random misfire while idling. Can't really tell if the outside of the headgasket is wet, but it doesn't look like it. So I'm thinking probably just an internal leak from one of the water chambers. Would I be correct in assuming so?

Also another random question, did the older DT20's not come with a tensioner to make it more difficult to rotate? Would REALLY come in handy while trolling.

Originally posted by Wagoneer View Post
    I posted a while back about my DT20 smoking a lot. I got that all figured out. I rebuilt the carb, adjusted the idle screw properly and ran some seafoam through it. I could tell right away after that the engine instantly ran a whole lot better. I've been running it ever since, top speed of 30mph on my 12' inflatable and can troll all day long at 4mp/h with no issues and has pretty decent fuel economy. It now puffs smoke once on cold start up and never puffs again after that.

Now I'm getting an issue with it smoking during deceleration. Smoke is white, and only happens with slowing down and then right afterwards while idling for a couple minutes. I know white smoke means water, so I'm thinking possible internal headgasket issue allowing water to enter the combustion chamber during heavy engine vacuum (ie. while decelerating). It also has a consistent random misfire while idling. Can't really tell if the outside of the headgasket is wet, but it doesn't look like it. So I'm thinking probably just an internal leak from one of the water chambers. Would I be correct in assuming so?

Also another random question, did the older DT20's not come with a tensioner to make it more difficult to rotate? Would REALLY come in handy while trolling.
    how old is your dt20?
    have your checked your plugs? have you change the oil you use?
    trying retuning your engine to see if that helps the misfire, the seasons are changing and may need to be ajusted.
    i have a 1982 dt25, when i asked the suzuki mechanic about the head gasket on mine being a problem he said that they have a thicker ring around the cylinders so it was unlikely to be a problem. not saying that you dont have a head gasket problem

Comment

Originally posted by doglover View Post
      how old is your dt20?
      have your checked your plugs? have you change the oil you use?
      trying retuning your engine to see if that helps the misfire, the seasons are changing and may need to be ajusted.
      i have a 1982 dt25, when i asked the suzuki mechanic about the head gasket on mine being a problem he said that they have a thicker ring around the cylinders so it was unlikely to be a problem. not saying that you dont have a head gasket problem
      Year is unknown, but stamped numbers make me believe it to be a '92. It's the 444cc non-oil injection motor.

I have switched from a conventional oil to a synthetic (currently running 75:1) and the misfire at idle has been present all along and so has the smoking. Those two things have been present from before the carb rebuild and tuing to afterwards which leads me to believe they have nothing to do with air/fuel or oil. New plugs were installed with the carb rebuild.

I only have one more planned outing with the motor this season so I'm just going to wait until after that and probably tear into it as a winter project.

Comment

Working...
      X