SMIS gauge power cable hookup df250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMIS gauge power cable hookup df250

Installing 4" SMIS gauge on new Suzuki df250. Gauge came with 990c0-88112 power cable. It came with installed bullet connectors, a fuse holder, and a short adapter cable with male bullet connectors on each end.

My dealer says they connect the power cable to the ignition switch wire harness which I now see requires cutting and splicing. Don't really want to go hacking into the ignition switch wiring harness. Anybody know where this cable was designed to be plugged in?
    Last edited by swjjws; 09-30-2014, 02:05 PM.

Did you get the manual with the SMIS gauge?

If not, you should download it and read it! Must do!

Because it is not a traditional gauge. It will ONLY work if it is connected to a NMEA2000 network. There is then some quite simple configuration that must be done for it to work properly.

Do NOT cut anything in the engine wiring harness!

The power cable you have is a network power cable. Designed to power a NMEA2000 network.

At the very least, talk more with your Suzuki dealer about how this needs to be set up with your specific engine.

Here is some more important info and a network diagram that should help you understand what this is all about.

http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowra...Connection.pdf

Comment

Thanks Moonlighter. Yes, I have the SMIS instruction manual and have read it along with the engine interface manual.

Yes, I am familiar with the NMEA 2000 network using the SMIS. Installed a SMIS gauge in 2009 on a 2006 DF 115. No problems whatsoever with the install. The gauge is still operating perfectly today and I am happy with it.

No, I don't have any plans to cut and splice into the ignition wiring harness. That is what I am trying to find a solution for. So far have had two dealers say they attach to the ignition switch.

Are you familiar with the Suzuki engine wiring harness?

Thanks for the reply and taking an interest.

Comment

I guess I just lucked out with my boat, but it is possible you could find something similar on yours. According to the Suzuki wiring diagram, there's a switched power source coming from the ignition switch that goes to another switch to power the Suzuki gauge illumination (the analog gauges, I imagine). Since my boat came with Faria gauges, whose illumination is switched by the nav light switch (power comes off the positive bus bar), and I don't have the Suzuki gauges, that illumination power source wire from the igniton switch was not connected to anything, and provided the perfect point to power my NMEA system. I think it's possible that if you can find the connection that comes from the ignition switch for that illumination function, might have a way to connect another wire for power to your NMEA backbone without actually cutting anything in the harness to the engine.
        Mike

Comment

Ok, no problems!

You can do what Harper suggested and try to find an unused bullet connector with power from the ignition in the wiring harness behind the dash, or piggyback off one of them. If you unravel some of the taped up wiring there is every chance you will find a spare connector.

Lots of people power their networks that way. But if you have an external GPS antenna on the network that gets its power from the NMEA2000 network (many do) then wiring it this way will leave you with no GPS signal when the engine is turned off.

I run mine off a separate switch. Just find it easier to have it done that way and on its own fuse.
          Last edited by Moonlighter; 10-01-2014, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks Harper2 and Moonlighter. Great information. Yesterday I found the unused bullet connectors on the engine wiring harness. They will make a very simple neat job of wiring the power cable for the NMEA 2000 network.

Moonlighter, we have a GPS receiver puck for the NMEA 2000 network but also have a separate stand alone GPS. We will wire the NMEA 2000 to power up with the engine.

Thanks again to Harper2 and Moonlighter. I really appreciate the time you both took to reply and solve my question.

Comment

Working...
            X