Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF140 check engine and tilt issue

Hi there.

I have a new (to me) 2006 boat with twin Suzuki DF140's. Each engine has electrical issues and I wanted to ask for some advice and suggestions.

My story:
    The boat was shipped over 900 miles to me on Thursday. The port engine had a disconnected throttle rod at the engine which was resolved (press fit the rod to the ball joint on the engine) and we went on a 20 minute ride.

On Saturday, I went back and noticed that I had left the runnings lights on and the port engine battery switch was left on "Both"; starboard was on "off". The engines fired up fine and I went to the fuel dock.

After 20 minutes with the engines off, I fired them up. The port engine had a 'check engine' light beep. I didn't notice a code. It just beeped constant on one second, off one second. I checked the oil and thought it looked low (I know now it wasn't) and trimmed the engine up a little. After a few minutes, I fired it out and there was no alarm.

We went out fishing for a few hours and I trolled on the port engine. I switched to starboard after an hour. Then I went back to port fired out and died a few times and then it wouldn't function (no starter, no tilt/trim) and the 'check engine' light was back on. We went in to debug.

I noticed the batteries wouldn't take a charge. I assumed they were original batteries and swapped them out with new AMGs. I checked every fuse and every wire connection - all good.

I then noticed the starboard engine would tilt down but not up. However, every now and then, I could get it to tilt up.

I switched the 60 amp main fuse and the port engine fired up. I was able to tilt both the port and starboard. The check engine light was still on. I shut it down and re-fired it...nothing. I switched back to the original fuse and the same thing repeated (one ignition and that's it). This time, the check engine light gave a 2:4 code. Every other code was 1:1. I was able to switch back a forth a few times but it became less consistent.

I called the dealer and he thought it was the main relay on the port and tilt/trim relay on the starboard.

Does it make sense that relays could be "wakened" during transport and/or take an initial load a go out? Was I simply jostling the relay when switching the 60 amp fuse? Doesn't it seem strange that both engines have relay issues at the same time?

Any advice on checking the relays?

I responded to your identical post on THT. Have a look there and see how you go.

Comment

Might be an idea to check the battery isolator switches; if the switches were Port-Both and Starboard-Off it suggests a problem with the starboard power supply. You may find the other battery was having to deliver more load than it was receiving, so eventually ran down to a point where it needs a big re-charge. If it is the isolators, they're usually a lot cheaper than the relays!

Comment

But I have changed the batteries and the issue remains

Comment

Working...
        X