Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nmea 2000

new to this forum,
    searched yesterday and found some great info from moonlighter about SMIS, and nmea networks.
    i just want to ask where can i find more info about nmea 2000? i recently went from a 1996 2 stroke115 merc to 2014 suzuki df140 i obviously love it! i also had it installed with a 4" SMIS gauge so far i love it as well but its all new to me, engine interface, engine data, digital fule rate flow, etc etc, now i want to get my fuel range activated so f I'm reading this forum right i need a speed GPS source ( like chart plotter/fish finder ) hooked to the gauge, and it needs to be NMEA 2000? 0183 will not work? is this correct, i also have the fluid level sensor but have not installed it yet,
    RECAP- i have 2014 DF140, 4" SMIS gauge,engine interface, fluid level sensor
    I NEED- GPS, and a new radio-- so they both should be NMEA 2000 ??/

Thanx for tHe input. i tried doing a search but wasn't able to find exactly what i was looking for

Yes, your GPS needs to have an NMEA 2000 output for the SMIS gauge. If the GPS unit also has an NMEA 0183 output, that can go to you radio for position reporting, or you could also use the NMEA 2000 circuit to the radio, too. Point is, the radio doesn't have to be NMEA 2000 capable, unless NMEA 2000 is your only capability on your GPS unit.

If you already have a chartplotter whose GPS info is not transmittable via NMEA 2000, you can purchase a separate GPS module for the SMIS gauge, 990C0-88120, for about $170 US.

Go over your 4" SMIS manual thoroughly for the setup and calibration procedures, and there's also a pretty fair pdf booklet about the Suzuki NMEA 2000 system that I've attached.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Harper2; 10-08-2014, 08:40 AM.
    Mike

Comment

I would suggest that you hold off on the fluid level sensor for a while, if you are intending to use it for fuel level in your tank. It can just confuse things.

The network as you have it will, once set up properly, tell you fuel used and fuel remaining in your tank. It is typically able to be set up to be within 0-3% accurate, which is far better than any level sensor will ever be!

As Mike said, if your current GPS/chart plotter doesn't give NMEA2000 data, then you can simply get that GPS puck antenna and connect it to the network and then you will get instantaneous mpg data. Very handy to help you find the sweet spot of engine speed, trim etc for best economy. Or, if your chart plotter is NMEA2000 capable, it is just a case of a drop cable and a T piece added to the network and you will be away!

So yes, make sure whatever GPS puck or chart plotter you get is NMEA2000! The bonus if you get a chart plotter that is NMEA2000 is that they will also have an engine data page or pages where you can also display any engine related or derived info. Nice stuff.

I am not sure if that will also give you fuel range (ie "distance to empty"), I have never bothered to try to set that up because I figure that there are simply too many variables in the marine environment to make it very meaningful.

Re the radio, a NMEA 2000 capable radio is simply munch easier to connect to GPS because it is one simple plug. No wires to join and figure out which one connects to what colour. That would make my choice easy!

Comment

thank you so much for the feed back. I'm a bit of a worry wort when it come s to fuel, and I'm just looking for the most reliable feedback as far fuel remaining goes, nothing more disturbing than being off shore and watching your old fuel gauge bounce from ¾ down to ¼ as you roll over waves. which one is it???? I'm hoping to get more reliable answer from the new burn rate info.

Comment

Yep, I understand your desire for a more trustworthy indicator of fuel remaining. Tank level gauges are notoriously inaccurate, especially in a fluid environment where the attitude of the vehicle and its fuel tank is constantly changing with its pitching and rolling. Once you get your fuel flow calibrated (and that might take several calibrations) you'll have a better picture of your fuel status.

As far as electronics goes, I'm in full agreement with Moonlighter in the preference of NMEA 2000 over 0813. My point was that if you already have the chartplotter and radio, that you don't have to buy all new equipment to make it all work. The SMIS gauge was the last piece of electronics that I added to my boat, having already installed a Garmin chartplotter that puts out GPS info through NMEA 0183 only, to a VHF radio that receives position data by NMEA 0813 only. My Garmin does have NMEA 2000 inputs that will take the fuel flow data and compute MPG and fuel range info by using its own GPS, but it has no capability to calibrate the Suzuki fuel flow, so it took the SMIS gauge to calibrate the engine data, so that the Garmin could provide accurate information. This is the first and only boat I've ever owned, and I've mentioned several times before in these pages that if I'd known more about the Suzuki/Lowrance alliance from the start, I wouldn't have purchased the Garmin equipment that I did. But it all works, and that's what matters.
          Mike

Comment

so tell me more about this suzuki /lowarance alliance I'm in need of a new chart plotter and radio and was leaning towards garmin, but I'm not brand loyal just want what works, i currently have an outdated lowrance

second ? if i hold off on the fluid level sensor install then in order to maintain the correct fluid level on the SMIS you would need to be responsible for manually updating the gauge each time you top off or fill the fuel tank ? no biggie just want to make sure i understand? no fluid level sensor = manual input for amount thats in the tank then the engine interface monitors the burn rate to leave the user with the amount that should be remaining in tank??

Comment

When you have installed the network, you need to do an initial set-up, and that includes telling the system your fuel tank capacity. This enables the system to calculate fuel remaining. And yes, every time you add fuel or fill the tank you need to tell it!

There are 2 options, a partial fill where you haven't filled the tank. You simply input the quantity of fuel added to the tank and it adjusts totals accordingly. Or, if you fill the tank, you tell it, and it automatically resets it to the tank capacity.

It takes only 30 seconds to do the fuel adjustment. Very simple. Just have to get into the habit of doing it. Add to the checklist!

Lowrance makes the interfaces for Suzuki. Therefore, if you need to update interface software or change any configurations related to the engine, you can only do it through a Lowrance or Suzuki MFD or gauge. You can do the fuel tank setup and refill process from any manufacturers MFD.

Most of the settings are automatic these days, and it is only if you find a problem that requires more detailed config or software reloads, you will need the Lowrance or Suzuki device.

Comment

anyone wanna buy a suzuki fluid level sensor???

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
                  When you have installed the network, you need to do an initial set-up, and that includes telling the system your fuel tank capacity. This enables the system to calculate fuel remaining. And yes, every time you add fuel or fill the tank you need to tell it!

There are 2 options, a partial fill where you haven't filled the tank. You simply input the quantity of fuel added to the tank and it adjusts totals accordingly. Or, if you fill the tank, you tell it, and it automatically resets it to the tank capacity.

It takes only 30 seconds to do the fuel adjustment. Very simple. Just have to get into the habit of doing it. Add to the checklist!

Lowrance makes the interfaces for Suzuki. Therefore, if you need to update interface software or change any configurations related to the engine, you can only do it through a Lowrance or Suzuki MFD or gauge. You can do the fuel tank setup and refill process from any manufacturers MFD.

Most of the settings are automatic these days, and it is only if you find a problem that requires more detailed config or software reloads, you will need the Lowrance or Suzuki device.
                  Which digital gauge would you choose overall the Suzuki or Lowrance?

Comment

They are both made by Lowrance. Basically identical, except the Suzuki gauge comes with some slight software differences that give it a small advantage. Such as showing engine error codes and warnings. I would go with that.

Not sure how prices compare these days. If Lowrance are significantly cheaper, I know a way to reload their software so they become a Suzuki gauge so......

Comment

Rusty, what i can say if it helps at all….i have the 4" Suzuki SMIS gauge with the engine interface and so far its extremely user friendly, can't say about the lowrance gauge as i haven't used one , but as i am about upgrade to a nmea 2000 chart plotter/fish finder, i was planning on switching to gamin because i find them very easy to use, i have 3 yr old lowrance its always a pain in the A** to use, however I'm not sure about the new touch screen lowrance im sure there much easier to maneuver thru the screens??

Comment

Mitch, it shouldn't make any difference which brand you use. There is that alliance between Lowrance and Suzuki, but any Garmin with the capability of sending data over NMEA 2000 as well as receiving will meet your needs. My comment pertained to the GPSMAP 546s that I already had, and it doesn't send any position data over the NMEA 2000 net. I have no experience with the Lowrance chartplotters, but I think they also would be a good choice. Decide what unit will best meet your needs and go with it.
                        Mike

Comment

chk. thanx for the input.

Comment

Working...
                          X