X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gasket Goo on exhast gasket?

Hi guys

First post!

Got a 1985 DT115 which had water in cylinder 4.
    Took off the head and exhaust and found problem with exhaust gasket.

My understanding is the head gasket goes on dry.

I have two exhaust gaskets, one for each side of the side plate.

Do these gaskets need gasket sealant??if so hardening or non-hardening?

Can get some permatex from my local auto parts store.
    My assumption is a slow drying, non- hardening sealnt as the gaskets are essentially cardboard and need to withstand stress/heat but don't want a hardening sealant to crack with heat expansion etc...

Thanks all

My book is for newer model motor
    I can only suggest getting the service manual for your year/model motor
    Beside giving you step by step instructions for exactly what your question is
    The book also gives you the scheduled service items the need to be done Periodically
    You obviously got far enough to know what your problem is, which without a manual is impressive but the manual should assist with many of the other technical questions you are going to run into
    Art

Comment

Speaking from experience with cars, never seen any sealant on head gaskets or exhaust gaskets, unless it's the spray-on copper sealant, which is basically a high-temp sealant made especially for such applications. Do NOT use any of the RTV silicone type sealants, or any other sealant not made specifically for high-temp applications such as exhaust manifolds. I actually prefer to use the copper spray on head and exhaust gaskets rather than mounting them dry. It works very well in that application.
      Mike

Comment

Working...
      X