Fuel in crankcase. Found source. 08 df140

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel in crankcase. Found source. 08 df140

Hey guys. The vapor hose running from vst to the top of the crankcase is pushing a lot of gas in the crankcase causing excessive fuel in the oil issue. There is a steady stream of fuel coming from the hose after about 3 minutes of idle. Don't know if vst has debris or a high pressure problem from pump/regulator. Have you any ideas? I really don't want to remove the vst without some idea of parts to replace.

08 df140. Motor starts and runs great, just a nunch of fuel in a short time getting in the oil.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Millennium View Post
    Hey guys. The vapor hose running from vst to the top of the crankcase is pushing a lot of gas in the crankcase causing excessive fuel in the oil issue. There is a steady stream of fuel coming from the hose after about 3 minutes of idle. Don't know if vst has debris or a high pressure problem from pump/regulator. Have you any ideas? I really don't want to remove the vst without some idea of parts to replace.

08 df140. Motor starts and runs great, just a nunch of fuel in a short time getting in the oil.
    Same thing happened to me. My problem was the needle and seat in the VST. For the hassle of having to remove the intake manifold etc id just do it straight up at a cost of about $50. I didnt, thinking a clean out would be ok.....

Comment

Yep, something keeping the float needle from seating, causing the bowl in the VST to overfill and overflow. You'll have to open up the VST and remove whatever debris is caught between the needle and seat, so the float will close off the float valve when the fuel reaches the proper level. You might alsdo want to check/replace the low pressure fuel filter, as it might need replacing to prevent the same problem from recurring.
      Mike

Comment

I figured on replacing those. Did you do it yourself. Looks like removing the manifold is a PITA.

Comment

If you don't have a Suzuki service manual for your motor, get one if you intend to do any of your own work. It's well worth the investment. It shouldn't be too hard to do this job, just take your time. But if you're not comfortable working on engines, you might want to have it done by your favorite marine mechanic.
          Mike

Comment

Mike

I have the manual and have read the removal process several times. Thinking about letting my fav do it. It really does not look that difficult. Just time.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was chasing this one for a few days focusing on the low pressure side til I figured I would pull the overflow hose and check that. I will probably replace fuel hoses as well. I bet their struggling. I bought this boat used about 10 weeks ago and could not verify what type of gas had been item it. Ethanol is hard on gas lines. Motor has 220 hours.

Comment

I am asking this without really know how the internals of the VST work.

If I have a problem with the valve not seating properly and the tank is overflowing, would I see fuel come out of the hose with a firm pump of the primer ball?

Comment

Originally posted by Millennium View Post
                I am asking this without really know how the internals of the VST work.

If I have a problem with the valve not seating properly and the tank is overflowing, would I see fuel come out of the hose with a firm pump of the primer ball?
                Not sure about that since I've not faced the problem myself. But it seems logical that it would, at least with several quick squeezes.
                If you're familiar with the bowl of a carburetor, and the float valve for that, the float valve in your VST works on the same principal.
                Then the high pressure pump is immersed in fuel in the VST bowl and draws fuel from there to pressurize the fuel rail and injectors.
                Last edited by Harper2; 10-15-2014, 12:46 PM.
                Mike

Comment

Fixed

Repaired the overflow problem. I replaced the needle/seat assembly in the VST. PIA to get to the VST. The O-Ring on the bottom the the seat did not appear to be doing its job allowing fuel to go around the seat. After inspection the needle and seat appeared to be in good shape. After taking the time to remove the VST I thought I should go ahead and replace the parts. Needle and seat was roughly 30 bucks and a manifold gasket and VST seal made it a 50-60 dollar job. Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

I would like to check my vst as well but dealing with the manifold doesn't look like fun. How was it to work on?
                    2005 Carolina Skiff DLX 2007 Suzuki DF 115 4 Stroke

Comment

Seaduckit
                      It was not too bad. First is get a Manual for the motor. It outlines the steps to removing the Manifold. First thing is to remove fuel pressure and disconnect power sources to injectors. Remove covers and disconnect water lines. Fuel lines and injector rail and return rails. I did not remove the throttle body when I removed the manifold. I would replace the manifold gasket as well. ($6.00 I think from Brownspoint). Disconnect fuel lever from throttle body. Remove the bolts and seperate from the engine. The VST and high pressure fuel filter come out together. The vst is fairly basic. Once you get it apart it's pretty self explanatory. Took me a little over 3 hours from start to finish. After I read the book 5 times. It's not hard, just take your time, take pics as you go and tag every line you disconnect. A manual is priceless.

Comment

Yeah Ive got the manual. I think I will give it a whirl. Ive done everything else. Actually replaced the high pressure filter which wasn't to bad. Thanks

Comment

Seaduck

What issues are you having. I followed your thread on the skiff site with the sputtering. Looked like you replaced everything except the VST.

Where are you striper fishing?

Comment

I was making oil as well. I just changed oil again so Im not sure if the thermostat change fixed that issue. I like to do all my work as well or at least what Im capable of. Mine was sputtering on hard takeoffs but the new thermostat seemed to help that. I would like to take the vst off to clean it and check it out. That's about the last thing I would have left.

I striper fish mostly in the James river and a little on the seaside.

Comment

You can check your VST needle/seat by disconnecting your vapor hose from the crankcase. It's the small hose coming from the top left of the VST to the top right right of the crankcase. The thermostat is to left of the hose. Once you start the motor and let it run for 5 minutes check to see if fuel is coming out of that hose. If it is then you have found your source for fuel getting into your oil.

I am going to try my hand striper fishing at manns harbour soon and would like to try the James as well. Only a couple hours to each for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X