Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suzuki's are fish attractors in Australia!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki's are fish attractors in Australia!

I know this is not exactly a Suzuki parts/problems issue, but thought I might lighten up the forum with a fishing report, from my mate's 2310 Striper powered by 2009 DF300 Suzuki. I regularly crew for him on this boat when we fish wide offshore. Closer in, we use my 5.5m Surtees with DF115.

Needless to say the big Suzuki performed flawlessly for the week we were away. By the way, I set up the NMEA2000 network on this boat and the twin SMIS gauges, they were amongst the first in Australia and the 300 was the first FBW version installed on a boat in Queensland.

Anyway, here's the report.

Took the Striper 2301 out from central Queensland, Australia. Our base was the only town in the world with a number for its name: 1770. Capt James Cook stopped here to get fresh water and food on his journey to discover Australia's east coast, in, you guessed it, the year 1770.

The reef is about 35nm off the coast, and Fitzroy reef is a typical coral reef, and like a few coral reefs, it has a lagoon inside a surrounding reef that breaks at all tides and is exposed at low tide. A narrow channel was blasted thru many years ago to allow access for trailer boats, charter boats and medium sized motor and sail yachts.

Inside (west) of the reef, the water is around 45-50m deep with scattererd reef, rubble and coral bommies that sometimes rise to within 7-10 meters of the surface.

Outside (eastwards) it drops off steadily to about 60m deep, then suddenly you go off the edge of the continental shelf into really deep water, several hundred meters deep, in just a mile or two.

We fished inside the reef and areas east out to about 110 m (330ft approx). We found a nice ledge that has a sheer drop from 92m to 110m, and typically, the fish school up just above the ledge. It is sometimes very hard to stop big reds tearing off and over this ledge, busting you off on the coral as it goes. We usually fish 50-80lb braid with 60-100lb flouricarbon leaders on dropper rigs. Slab of mullet or half of a hussar for bait on a 8/0 octopus hook. A big squid head the sizes of a fist is also a good Red bait!

Caught coral trout, Spanish mackerel, many mixed reef fish and varieties of cod and tropical snappers, but the prized target here are Red Emperor. This trip, we got out 4 days of the 6 we had available to fish and caught 4 Reds up to 8kg or so. We were there with 16 other boats from our fishing Club, Power Boat Anglers Fishing Club, based in Brisbane.

Anyways, here are a few pictures of our catch and the 2301.

Last edited by Moonlighter; 10-20-2014, 11:47 PM.

A couple more photos:

Last edited by Moonlighter; 10-20-2014, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Last couple:

Comment

Oh man, I am envious, Grant. Nice catch. Looks like really good eatin'. Thanks for sharing.
        Mike

Comment

Nice fish, the weather looks great also. You have to love the power on that 300
          John

Comment

great story.. even greater photos

Grant.. thanks for sharing
            If I ever.. get the chance.. I am coming down and want to go fishing with you..
            and likewise.. If you ever get to Oregon.. we will get you fishing here..
            and as long as we can share pictures.. here is a Chinook from my Oct 1 trip to southern Oregon coast just north of the California border..
            Attached Files

Comment

Lovely post, Grant, great pikkies too-
              I'm envious of that 300 you guys have, although it seems to attract small fish,
              My boat is about to leave the water because winter is coming........oh well, It'll give me time to fettle it and add some stuff that I want but don't need

regards and gb=reetings from the(cold) Netherlands, Dar.

Comment

Thanks guys!

You can rest assured that if I find my way to the States I will look you up and wet a line with you! Likewise, youre welcome aboard with me anytime if you visit Aus.

We are lucky here because we can fish year-round, in fact winter is probably our best fishing, due to better weather patterns and winter fish species being active.

And yes, all those fish pictured are top class eating, particularly the Red Emperor which are amongst the very best! Fillets sell in the shops for more than $50 per kg. That pair I am holding in one of the pictures would each be $200 fish if you had to buy them. Plus, they fight like demons, all the way to the surface, they never give up. Hard work if you are fishing out in the 100m range. Not so bad in 60m where we got those ones.

Some facts and figures:

The big 300 Suzuki averages around 20 litres per hour, or just on 1 km per litre over a 2 day trip. We overnighted on this trip in the lagoon at Fitzroy Reef. For the 2 day trip, we used just on 233 litres and for the whole week, about 570 litres in the boat. We drive to suit the conditions, mostly sitting between 3600-4200rpm.

Took 15 fishing rods all together. All Shimano reels and rods, Tekota's, tyrnos, TLD's dominated the overheads and Saragosa, Stradic and Spheros spin reels.

The trip from home to 1770 is about 600kms and towing with a V8 turbo deisel Toyota Landcruiser it takes about 6.5 hours to get there.

We brought home about 50kg of fillets between the two of us.

Art - nice chinook!
                Last edited by Moonlighter; 10-21-2014, 04:45 PM.

Comment

okay Grant.. now convert those numbers into something I can understand!!
                  my photo.. actually picked up two of these chrome bright chinook this trip, the second slightly larger than this one and lost two more.
                  Brookings, Or. - southern Oregon coast .. just 10 miles N. of the California border.. 700 miles (1100 KM) on the truck -round trip - about a 6 1/2 hour drive one way from home.
                  fishing can happen, however, within a 100 yards of the jetty..
                  Tuna fishing from here is another story. 2 hour drive to the port then we run 50 miles offshore, 60 from the dock,, or 100 km and then troll all day and another 100 KM to get back
                  My 175 looks to be a touch more efficient of course slightly different boats.
                  I used 45 gallons. 170 liters for the round trip and 5 to 6 hours of trolling.
                  trolling is running at 2200 - 2400 rpm.. and as side note.. computer told me I used 45.3 gallons and when I filled tank it took 45.5 gallons. very impressed with the accuracy..
                  on a good day I come back with 15 tuna..average weight 20/25 lbs / 11 kg - maybe 300 plus lbs / 136 kg- of fish. price in the store for fresh Albacore tuna $15 lb / $33 kg.
                  enough rambling.. when you arrive.. I will have enough fishing to do to keep you busy.....
                  Art

Comment

Very impressive fuel economy. nice fish. Last trip out 84 kilometer 58 liters fuel 1 to 1.5 seas. What is that bottle strapped to the T-Top pipe??

Comment

Originally posted by bassyac View Post
                      Very impressive fuel economy. nice fish. Last trip out 84 kilometer 58 liters fuel 1 to 1.5 seas. What is that bottle strapped to the T-Top pipe??
                      Hand wash! Stinky bait covered hands, eating lunch, and something to have a quick washdown with before hitting the sack on overnight stays.

Comment

Working...
                      X