Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use the Troll Mode ?

Hi all,
    I have just bought a new 2014 Sea Fox commander with a Suzuki DF 300 engine. The Boat came with Troll mode control switch but I don't know How to use this mode ? I enjoy trolling quite a bit so would love to use this features. I looked in the Suzuki Owner's Manual and on the internet but can't find a response. Could you Please be so kind and let me know How to use this Troll Mode ?
    Ps: my Boat is equiped with the NMEA 2000.
    Thank you very much in advance.

Since the Troll Mode is an option, and not included as a standard feature of the motor, I would think that it has a separate users manual, if not covered in the regular owners manual. You should go back to the dealer where you purchased the boat/motor and ask them for the manual. The switch, along with a separate, dedicated tach, bumps the RPMs up or down in 50 RPM increments to maintain a constant troll speed (between 500 and 1200 RPM) and works through the NMEA 2000 sysatem.
    Last edited by Harper2; 10-23-2014, 08:51 AM.
    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Harper2 View Post
      Since the Troll Mode is an option, and not included as a standard feature of the motor, I would think that it has a separate users manual, if not covered in the regular owners manual. You should go back to the dealer where you purchased the boat/motor and ask them for the manual. The switch, along with a separate, dedicated tach, bumps the RPMs up or down in 50 RPM increments to maintain a constant troll speed (between 500 and 1200 RPM) and works through the NMEA 2000 sysatem.
      Thank you very much Mike. I think I have the option as I have the special up and down switch but No dedicated tachymeter, however, I have the SIMS multi task gauge so maybe I could use it with this trolling mode? Do you think it could work together or should I buy and install a dedicated tachymeter ?

My problem is that I am living in New-Caledonia and the Boat and engine comes from USA 😜, I only have the manuals which came with the boat.

Comment

Oh ***.....I don't know the answer to that! I'm not really even sure that the option comes with a dedicated tach, although the info that I read seems to indicate such. As far as how to activate and use the system, I guess I would just try to see if the buttons worked by pulling the throttle back to about 1000 RPM and then try the buttons. Each push up or down is supposed to change the RPM by 50 (again, the troll mode range is 500 to 1200 RPM). Let us know if that works.

PS ... this is sure a funny forum sometimes ... that *** in the first line of my post was not a vulgarity ... the word they blanked out was W-O-W.
        Last edited by Harper2; 10-23-2014, 10:31 PM.
        Mike

Comment

Thank you Mike ! Will try it soon and will leg you know if it works ! 😉

Comment

Originally posted by Harper2 View Post
            Oh ***.....I don't know the answer to that! I'm not really even sure that the option comes with a dedicated tach, although the info that I read seems to indicate such. As far as how to activate and use the system, I guess I would just try to see if the buttons worked by pulling the throttle back to about 1000 RPM and then try the buttons. Each push up or down is supposed to change the RPM by 50 (again, the troll mode range is 500 to 1200 RPM). Let us know if that works.

PS ... this is sure a funny forum sometimes ... that *** in the first line of my post was not a vulgarity ... the word they blanked out was W-O-W.
            So I tried it today and when I put the engine at around 700 rpm and try pushing on the up or down switch of the troll mode nothing happens. Either there is something else to do to engage the troll mode or I don't have the option ? It seems strange that I would have the switches if I do not have the troll mode option ? 😳 to me it seems like there is something to so to engage the mode but what ??? 😟

Comment

Found this information, it may help:

Suzuki Marine Europe Distributors : News detail

Also, after a bit if a search on "how to activate suzuki outboard troll mode", i found the following info, now, bear in mind it relates to activating the troll mode on a tiller steer, but seems like a fair chance it is the same on bigger outboards:

"For anglers, the tiller handle feature of most interest is the new troll mode which can be used to adjust the engine idle speed to suit trolling different types of lures.

To activate you simply hold the troll mode switch in the up position for two seconds. A red LED light on the tiller handle will illuminate to show that troll mode has been engaged. The idle rpm can then be increased from its standard setting of around 850rpm (depending on the engine model) up to about 1,200rpm by tapping the up switch. With each up-tap the idle speed will rise by 50rpm. Tap the down button and the rpm will reduce by the same amount."

Let us know if this info helps.
              Last edited by Moonlighter; 10-25-2014, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
                Found this information, it may help:

Suzuki Marine Europe Distributors : News detail

Also, after a bit if a search on "how to activate suzuki outboard troll mode", i found the following info, now, bear in mind it relates to activating the troll mode on a tiller steer, but seems like a fair chance it is the same on bigger outboards:

"For anglers, the tiller handle feature of most interest is the new troll mode which can be used to adjust the engine idle speed to suit trolling different types of lures.

To activate you simply hold the troll mode switch in the up position for two seconds. A red LED light on the tiller handle will illuminate to show that troll mode has been engaged. The idle rpm can then be increased from its standard setting of around 850rpm (depending on the engine model) up to about 1,200rpm by tapping the up switch. With each up-tap the idle speed will rise by 50rpm. Tap the down button and the rpm will reduce by the same amount."

Let us know if this info helps.
                Thank you very much. I will try this next time I go out and will let you know if it works !! 😃

Comment

Working...
                X