oil injection system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil injection system

I just bought a challenger bass boat from my uncle, it has a 1989 Suzuki 75 outboard, people keep telling me to take the oil injection system off and just run oil in the gas. is the oil injection system on this motor a good system? the oil level gage works on the dash of the boat, or is there something I should do maintenance wise to the system to make sure it stays working properly, and if yall recommend oil in the gas at what ratio

Oil-injection-system

I can't comment regarding the oil-injection-system of your 1989 75 HP Suzuki , however , the system works flawlessly on my 1997 15 HP Suzuki . It's been utterly reliable ; never caused any problems . --- Just make sure that the lines have been bled . As long as no air is in the system it shouldn't "act up". --- In case the engine has been "dormant" for a while it would be prudent to check this out . --- In order to play it safe you could pre-mix (50:1) the first tank-filling . --- If the system operates , as it should , it will inject oil at a ratio of ~ 100:1 . --- Check the oil-tank (after using the engine) and you'll know if the system works satifactorily .

Comment

leave the oil system on, if you must premix, use 50:1 while you check the oil system (which will be working fine)

Comment

I, agree leave it on, you will run slightly lean and not know it running premix, the engine has different oil demands at different speeds, a one mix fits all approach it not a good plan for bigger motors

Comment

I think that automatic oil injection systems have a bad reputation in some people's minds. In the majority of cases, it is undeserved, especially for most Yamaha, Merc and Suzuki outboards.

As previously stated, if you want to be certain yours is operating, premix a tank of fuel at 50:1 and also fill the oil reservoir, mark the level, and go for a decent run. A check after you have run thru 2/3 or a tank of fuel will show you if the system is using oil from the reservoir, and you can then relax and revert back to filling without premixing.

The main culprit for unreliable oil injection systems was the older OMC Johnson and Evinrude VRO system, which became known here in Australia and no doubt elsewhere as the "Very Rarely Operates" system! Plastic parts in critical systems was never a good idea.

Comment

Oil-injection-system

During the last ~ 60 years I've owned and operated 3 Evinrudes , 1 Johnson , 1 Chrysler and 1 Suzuki (my current one) . --- NONE of them (Evinrudes nor Suzuki) ever caused any problems ; oil-injection- or otherwise . --- My policy was to refill (top-up) the oil-reservoir on a daily basis . --- I've heard many people complaining about their lubrication-problems but never had any reason to do so myself . --- Being a mechanic , I certainly paid attention to my engines .

Comment

Working...
            X