No announcement yet.

4 Stroke 175 engine fail at high RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the intel on he fuses. I will check those out when I go back this week.
    I also heard a whisper that on our Barcrusher boats we should be running the dual battery system with both batteries engaged not a single battery. So I'm keen to give this a go because I have recently just been running on the one battery keeping the second as a spare.
    It is a small world isn't it.

Comment

Its not the rusty plug in the engine holder is it?

Comment

Originally posted by aquamort View Post
        Its not the rusty plug in the engine holder is it?
        It is a DF175.

The rusty plug in the engine holder is specific only to the DF90-140 series prior to 2008.

Comment

I had about the same problem with my 175. Here's the link, hope it helps out. I did lots of research and troubleshooting on my own since it was intermittent. At no time while the motor is running should all 4 lights and alarm come on. The only time that should happen is when you initially turn on the ignition. Good luck, and let us know what the fix was. Oh, by the way, the dealer hadn't seen this problem before but the more I read about the problem, I wasn't the only one. I think there's another one on this forum that had the same problem/remedy.
          http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/s...tor-stops.html
          Bill
          Last edited by bill2452; 01-04-2015, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slek777 View Post
            Thanks for the intel on he fuses. I will check those out when I go back this week.
            I also heard a whisper that on our Barcrusher boats we should be running the dual battery system with both batteries engaged not a single battery. So I'm keen to give this a go because I have recently just been running on the one battery keeping the second as a spare.
            It is a small world isn't it.
            The best way to run dual batteries is with a dual battery VSR system. One battery as a dedicated start battery, and one as a house battery running all the on board electrical and electronics. Linked via VSR, gives priority to charging the start battery then charges the house, and separates the 2 when engine is stopped.

Lots of the Barcrusher boats up here in Qld run them set up that way by the local dealer here.

My Surtees runs a BEP dual battery management system. I will try to find a pic and post it here. Barcrusher also use this system.

Edit: here is a pic taken as construction of my boat was nearing completion. You can see the BEP setup on the left. Includes a switch for each battery on/off, the third switch is the "emergency combine both" switch.

Last edited by Moonlighter; 01-04-2015, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's input at this stage. I have worked out that I had 1 low battery - I have since replaced that .
              I have also been recommended to use the dual battery system with both batteries engaged and at this stage haven't had any other issues.

Comment

Ok, glad you seem to have it solved. One thing these new EFI 4 strokes do need, is a good power supply!

Hope you guys are not caught up near the bushfires down that way. Nasty situation, our thoughts are with our Sth Aussie mates. Be safe!

Comment

Working...
                X