2015 175HP are smoking at start-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 175HP are smoking at start-up

Just repowered my 25ft Grady with twin 175s. I'm still in the break-in period (at 15hrs) and noticed that when the boat sits for a few days and I start the engines I get a blast of white smoke on both engines. after that its fine and they run great. Something to worry about or normal at this stage?

Are you storing the boat with the engines tilted up? Best to store them down in normal running position if you can.

Comment

Nope, I keep the boat on my lift, engines down. I thought about that too and left one engine up and the other down...made no difference. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I would keep very good records... and document with the dealer..
        after the break-in period .. watch for oil consumption issues
        the motors are in warranty so you want to be careful not to do something that would violate the warranty
        I have a '06 175 when I bought the boat it only had 25 hours on it but was outside the warranty..
        I have an oil consumption issue that we now believe is a valve stem oil issue. it is about to get torn down and fixed..
        but if you are having a problem best to get it fully documented at this point

Comment

Good advice. I spoke with the dealer and they are not worried, in fact, they said it's normal for Suzukies... I'm keeping a log and I'm glad I got the 6 year warranty rather the 3 year

Comment

It's almost 5 years since I bought my DF115 new, but I do recall when it was very new that there was a bit of a puff of smoke on first startup in the early days.

It disappeared within the first year though, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Once you get the initial break-in done, don't baby the motors, some hard 5000+RPM running every trip helps bed rings in and burn off any fuel in the oil. Especially if you do lots of trolling.

Comment

Working...
            X