Trying to install new gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to install new gauges

I bought to new 4" multi gauges and I am confused about how to install them. The dealership told me that I should be able to hook it up without any trouble just pull the old gauges and install. When I opened the gauges the paperwork says you have to have a NMEA 2000 buss in order for the gauges to work. I have 2 DF 225's 2010 models on a custom built delivery boat. Is that right? It doesn't seem like I should have to have a third party device to hook up a Suzuki motor to a Suzuki gauge.
    If it is right, what do I need to get to run the buss to my motors?
    Any help would be appreciated.

You need to get a new dealer if that is what they told you!!!!

Where to start.......

Firstly, yes, the SMIS displays will ONLY work when they are connected to a NMeA2000 network. That is a fact, and if you read the manuals that come with the gauges it will say that too.

Creating the network itself is pretty simple. Buy a NMEA2000 starter kit from Lowrance and it has all the bits and pieces required. Far cheaper than buying the individual parts required separately. Cost about $70.

By the way, the SMIS gauges are rebadged Lowrance LMF400 gauges. Lowrance and Suzuki seem to have some kind of loose collaboration on the digital NMEA system so you will find more info on the Lowrance website.

Then, you will need to get both engines connected to the network. This requires a Suzuki engine interface cable (buy from Suzuki dealer or online, about US $120 each), and you need one of these cables for each engine. So that adds another $240 or thereabouts to the cost of the exercise.

Then, if you are getting rid of all the analogue gauges, you can connect the interface cables behind the dash to the engine wiring harness. But first, you need to change the harness connections in each engine under the cowl so that digital signals are sent thru the harness to the dash, instead of the analogue signals that are being sent to the analogue gauges.

Then, once the network is established and everything is connected, you need to configure the gauges so that the know the fuel tank capacity and arrangement on your boat, and also you can set them up so that one gauge shows data from port engine and the other shows data from the star engine, if that is what you want.

It sounds a bit complicated but a competent dealer, which you do not appear to have, can set this all up in maybe a couple of hours, including installing the SMIS gauges.

You could do it yourself too, it isn't that difficult, but you should do some more research and read some articles on setting up NMEA 2000 networks first to get your head around things.

These are good ones to read, and has diagrams that show you what the network looks like, what data will be able to be displayed, and will demystify things for you:

http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowra...Guide_3401.pdf

http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowra...Connection.pdf

By the way, if you have a NMEA 2000 compatible chart plotter you can connect it to the network too, and this then gives extra functionality to the gauges, such as instant fuel economy (mpg) and a bunch other things.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 01-22-2015, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Seems lately that so many dealership service departments are being run by half-wits. Sad situation. Just seems that they can't be bothered to know their products.
      Last edited by Harper; 01-22-2015, 09:22 PM.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks everyone

Thank you all for chiming in. I am trying to start doing my own work, because it is hard to get shops to make you a priority and My boat is a work boat needed 7 days a week. I'm green, but I hope to
        Learn quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by tshocklee View Post
          Thank you all for chiming in. I am trying to start doing my own work, because it is hard to get shops to make you a priority and My boat is a work boat needed 7 days a week. I'm green, but I hope to
          Learn quickly.
          tshocklee --
          Moonlighter is the best nmea expert I have seen
          like he mentioned .. need to figure out the layout and order all the conponents ...
          IF you run into a problem - come back to this post and and explain where you are in the process and I know you will get detailed answers to your questions
          What chart plotter/depth guage do you have? It may very well work with the engine interface connection and will give you tons of information on engine performance fuel consumption temps --so don't overlook those features when you are putting the nmea backbone together
          Art

Comment

I have a Garmin 541S. It does not have the nmea 2000 plug though.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
              You need to get a new dealer if that is what they told you!!!!

Where to start.......

Firstly, yes, the SMIS displays will ONLY work when they are connected to a NMeA2000 network. That is a fact, and if you read the manuals that come with the gauges it will say that too.

Creating the network itself is pretty simple. Buy a NMEA2000 starter kit from Lowrance and it has all the bits and pieces required. Far cheaper than buying the individual parts required separately. Cost about $70.

By the way, the SMIS gauges are rebadged Lowrance LMF400 gauges. Lowrance and Suzuki seem to have some kind of loose collaboration on the digital NMEA system so you will find more info on the Lowrance website.

Then, you will need to get both engines connected to the network. This requires a Suzuki engine interface cable (buy from Suzuki dealer or online, about US $120 each), and you need one of these cables for each engine. So that adds another $240 or thereabouts to the cost of the exercise.

Then, if you are getting rid of all the analogue gauges, you can connect the interface cables behind the dash to the engine wiring harness. But first, you need to change the harness connections in each engine under the cowl so that digital signals are sent thru the harness to the dash, instead of the analogue signals that are being sent to the analogue gauges.

Then, once the network is established and everything is connected, you need to configure the gauges so that the know the fuel tank capacity and arrangement on your boat, and also you can set them up so that one gauge shows data from port engine and the other shows data from the star engine, if that is what you want.

It sounds a bit complicated but a competent dealer, which you do not appear to have, can set this all up in maybe a couple of hours, including installing the SMIS gauges.

You could do it yourself too, it isn't that difficult, but you should do some more research and read some articles on setting up NMEA 2000 networks first to get your head around things.

These are good ones to read, and has diagrams that show you what the network looks like, what data will be able to be displayed, and will demystify things for you:

http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowra...Guide_3401.pdf

http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowra...Connection.pdf

By the way, if you have a NMEA 2000 compatible chart plotter you can connect it to the network too, and this then gives extra functionality to the gauges, such as instant fuel economy (mpg) and a bunch other things.
              When you say change the harness connection under the cowl, do you mean there is another connection I need to hook to already there, or is that something I need to buy as well? Thanks in advance!

Comment

No extra parts required, just unplug harness from one point and (analogue) into the SDS port (digital) as I understand it.

I am not sure exactly where the connection is on the 225, but hopefully someone here with a V6 Suzuki will chime in and perhaps post a picture of the connection point.

Comment

Originally posted by tshocklee View Post
                  I have a Garmin 541S. It does not have the nmea 2000 plug though.

On a quick look at the tech specs for you plotter it shows as a NMEA2000

Comment

The Garmin GPSMAP 541S DOES have a NMEA 2000 receptacle as shown here........
                    Attached Files
                    Mike
                    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Next question is, does it have an engine data page?

Comment

Yep, same as my 546s. RPM, fuel flow, fuel remaining, engine temp, engine trim. Pages 32-34 of his manual (which I'll also print from the pdf version, scan, and post here if necessary).
                        Last edited by Harper; 01-25-2015, 07:15 PM.
                        Mike
                        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post
                          Yep, same as my 546s. RPM, fuel flow, fuel remaining, engine temp, engine trim. Pages 32-34 of his manual (which I'll also print from the pdf version, scan, and post here if necessary).
                          Mike, a question for you. Sorry to sidetrack this thread a bit.....

On the Garmin, I presume there is a network menu, and presumably a device list there?

If so, what details about the Suzuki device (ie the interface) can be seen? I am particularly interested if it shows the engine hp or year settings, and the Suzuki interface software version?

I can get all that info on my Lowrance HDS display, but wondered what elements of that are visible on the Garmins?

Comment

Honestly, Grant, I don't remember. But I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know.
                            Mike
                            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks Mike, it will be helpful to know.

Comment

Working...
                              X