Fuel in the crank case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel in the crank case

I have 2 DF 225's I had fuel getting in the crankcase on my starboard engine. Checked the fuel pressure as directed by the manual. The fuel pressure was 60 psi and according to the manual the pressure should have been 36 psi. So, my local dealer suggested that we check the vent hose off of the pressure tank. It seemed unobstructed. In the end we replaced the fuel pressure regulator, changed the oil in the engine and took it out for a short ride. when we got back to the bank we checked the oil and it was milky agai. Any thoughts???

Fuel in the oil will not cause a milky appearance. Water will. Fuel in the oil merely dilutes it, making it appear to be overfilled, but it will still look the same, although you will be able to smell the gas in the oil. Water in the oil causes the milky appearance, because the two will not mix, and the water is emulsified by the action of the engine's moving parts.
    Last edited by Harper; 01-22-2015, 09:17 PM.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

my df115 was getting fuel into the oil. It was a stuck/worn needle in the vst tank. You can pull off the overflow hose leading up to the crankcase. fire the motor over and see if any fuel comes out. mine was squirting every 2 minutes or so. I pulled vst off cleaned and replaced needle and seat. dry as a bone now.
      2005 Carolina Skiff DLX 2007 Suzuki DF 115 4 Stroke

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the help. So, is a bad head gasket most likely the problem with water in the oil? The guy helping me said that he didn't think it smelled of fuel after we changed the pressure regulator. He even mentioned that he wondered if we didn't have fuel and water in the oil yesterday before we replaced
        The regulator. I guess he was right.
        Last edited by tshocklee; 01-22-2015, 09:58 PM.

Comment

A failed gasket is the likely culprit. You can check that with a cylinder leakdown test or regular compression check. Not hard to do and doesn't take too long.
          Last edited by Harper; 01-22-2015, 10:21 PM.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Fogot to mention this

I forgot to mention this, but on the same motor I am getting this sequence of flashs from the check engine light: 5-3. I looked in the manual to see what that sequence indicated and 5-3 was not an option. I noticed on the front of this manual it says pre production issue. So I was wondering if there was a code that wasn't included in this manual?

Comment

Originally posted by tshocklee View Post
              I forgot to mention this, but on the same motor I am getting this sequence of flashs from the check engine light: 5-3. I looked in the manual to see what that sequence indicated and 5-3 was not an option. I noticed on the front of this manual it says pre production issue. So I was wondering if there was a code that wasn't included in this manual?
              I have the DF175 manual .. in the front part of the book there is no 5-3 code
              However in the updated service bulletins section in the back a 5-3 code is showing "oil pressue switch"
              what year are your motors?
              Art

Comment

They are both 2011 models.

Comment

Working...
                X