Suzuki SMIS problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki SMIS problem

Trying to configure new SMIS for DF 250. Under heading "Configuration and Calibration" in the instruction manual we are trying to bring up a list of the bus devices. The bus devices list will only display the GPS module and not the engine interface. We have no other bus devices connected.

This prevents being able to configure the engine interface and select the model engine (DF250) therefore the instrument will not display any engine information.

We've tried plugging & unplugging the interface cable and swapping the connector with the T connector for the GPS. The GPS puts out a working properly message on the instrument using both T connectors.

Now we are at a loss for anything else to try other than a new engine interface cable. Are there any fuses or on engine connectors to check? The main wiring harness is connected and the engine starts and runs fine.

Thanks for any help.

this may seem like a crazy question.. but do you have the engine key in the on position? you don't need to have it running to configure.. but it does need to be powered up

Comment

Yes, key is in the on position. Thanks.

Comment

Moonlighter or Harper are the experts in this area,, I am sure they will chime in shortly
        Art

Comment

Hi there

Given your description, and the fact you've tested and ruled out a faulty T piece, it is likely to be a hardware problem or physical connection problem to me. In orpther words, a bad connection at a plug somewhere, a bad interafce cable or a bad adapter cable.

So, it's Time to check physical connections and cables first.

Where is your engine interface cable plugged into? The SDS port under the cowl, or the wiring harness behind the dash?

If under the cowl, then check that the White plug is plugged firmly into the SDS port near the ECU.

Also, if under the cowl, you will have the interface cable connected to the SDS port via an adapter cable. We have seen a number of instances where the adapter cable is wired incorrectly. This means that the interface is not active and will not show up on the device list.

If it is wrongly wired, it can be fixed quite easily by removing the offending pins from the plug and re-inserting them to the correct position. From the open end, inset a tiny optometerists screwdriver and lift up the little tab adjacent to the pin you want to remove, and at the same time, pull that wire out from the back of the plug. Reinsert by pushing it into the correct slot until it clicks into place.

The wiring is as follows. Please note that gray/red and orange/yellow on the engine side indicates "gray wire with a red stripe" and "orange wire with a yellow stripe". What we are describing here is how the interface and engine need to be connected together, the adapter cable wire colours are kind of irrelevant if you follow my meaning.

Engine side: ------- Interface side:
          yellow - ------ blue wire AND red wire
          gray/red ------- single red wire
          orange/yellow ------- white wire
          black - ------ black wire

If the interface is connected behind the dash, also check that the plugs are connected firmly and also that the appropriate change to plug connections that enables digital data to go to the helm has been made.

If all that checks out, then it is almost certainly a bad interface cable and only one solution, to that - send it back and get a replacement.

Cheers and let us know how you go.
          Last edited by Moonlighter; 02-03-2015, 09:12 PM. Reason: Add wiring details for adapter cable

Comment

Thank you Moonlighter. All connections are under the dash using the engine harness. We will go over in the morning and check things out again.

Thanks, John

Comment

Ok, no problems John. Good luck with the trouble shooting.

Now that we know that the interface is connected behind the dash to the wiring harness, let me add to my earlier comment re the appropriate changes to harness under the cowl.

The standard wiring arrangement is for analogue signals to be sent thru the harness from the engine. This assumes that the boat will have analogue gauges fitted.

However, if NO analogue gauges will be used for engine information, and only SMiS gauges or other NMEA 2000 gauges are going to be used, then it requires a change to the harness connections under the engine cowl.

It is something I have not done, but my understanding is that the wiring harness needs to be disconnected under the cowl from its normal connection point, and reconnected to the SDS port instead. I'm waiting for a call from my Suzuki mechanic mate who will advise.

EDIT: Yes, I can confirm that is the case. The ECM will have 2 connection plugs: one for the normal gauge harness, and the SDS communication connector. In case you don't know the acronyms, the SDS connector is the plug near the ECM that the technicians connect their laptops to when servicing the engine, to check error codes etc. It sits in a rubber cap near the ECU. So if necessary, unplug the haness from the other connection, and connect it to the SDS port connector instead. Tape the over plug up so it doesn't fall around the place.

Did the dealer you bought it from know that the intent was only to use NMEA2000 gauges? And has the required change been made under the cowl?

If so, again, check that they are plugged in firmly.

Otherwise if the change hasn't been made the data coming up to the dash thru the harness will be analogue and no amount of effort will get it to communicate with the SMIS gauges.
              Last edited by Moonlighter; 02-04-2015, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Moonlighter thank you for your considerable effort. It is much appreciated.

We spent this morning going over things again.

We found the SDS connector with the rubber cap. It is a 4 pin connector & by the ECM as you said. The main wiring harness however has no connector which will match the SDS plug on the engine end of the harness. There is one other black plug by the ECM which does match the SDS plug however it is plugged into a harness so it appears to be in use. We question if this plug may be outputting analogue information and be tied into the on engine plug the main engine harness mates to. Could switching to the SDS plug provide the digital information the gauge needs?

All the rigging for the motor including the SMIS digital gauge kit was purchased at the same time. There was nothing done to the engine to accommodate the digital gauge.

Thanks, John

Comment

John, I can't be there to see the plug you are referring to. But as mentioned above, the existing connection to the harness has to be unplugged, and connect to the SDS port instead.

If you do a Google search for "Suzuki outboard Prep Plus Bulletin number 004 of 2007, it inclued some diagrams of the various hp engines and the locations of the connectors involved. From what I can see, the SDS port on the 250 is towards the top of the engine, and the gauge connector plug is below it, to the left, and about 1/3 the way up the engine. It appears to connect to the main harness.

I'd suggest that to be certain, contact your selling dealer to confirm that the plug you've identified is correct before proceeding. It does sound likely, though.
                  Last edited by Moonlighter; 02-04-2015, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Many thanks, Moonlighter.

You are correct on the locations of the sds plug and the gauge plug. The SMIS now recognizes the engine interface. Problem solved.

We did as you suggested and talked to a tech. at the dealer who gave the same information.

There is very little slack in making the connection. Wires could have been a couple of inches longer to make it easier fitting everything back under the ECM cover.

Sure hope Suzuki gets with it and provides better installation instructions for their new line of digital gauges.

Moonlighter, thanks for your effort, John

Comment

All good. Glad it worked out. Let us know if you run into any problems along the way. Usually it's pretty much plug and play. The gauge manual is not well written, can be a bit vague, is all.

Once it's all set up, fill the gas tank and go for a decent run, say at least 1/4 of a tank. Then fill up again, and then compare actual gas used with what the SMIS says.

You then go into the fuel menu and reset to full.

You have to do this every time you add fuel or fill up.

If you fill to full, you must NOT also input the number of gallons added. You ONLY ever do that if you do a partial fill, ie where you just add say 10 gallons but don't fill the tank.

If the actual vs SMIs are different, you can do a "calibrate" process as part of the refuel process, this makes it more accurate next time. After you set to full it will give the option to calibrate, you select yes, and then input the actual fuel added. Might have to do it 2 or 3 times each time after you use fuel, it should then be close to 100% accurate, and will stay that way.

If your fuel flow and fuel used is crazy wrong, then there is a software conflict, it can be fixed, come back and we will tell you how! Hopefully though you will be OK.

Cheers

Grant

Comment

Working...
                      X