No announcement yet.

URGENT Electrical Question (2014 DF175)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT Electrical Question (2014 DF175)

Hi there, went to take boat for first oil change as the oil light was blinking last I used it in January. I noticed the battery was dead...didn't think much about it because it is stored in the barn, non insulated but enclosed. The serviceman said he charged the battery, when I got home it was dead. So I charged it, and when I hooked the cables back up...automatically heard the motor beep and do some electronic stuff inside like when you turn the key to the first position and noticed the three indicator lights on the dash were lit up...engine, oil, and the other one. There was no key in ignition either... Also notice that when I hook the cables to the positive post that a decent spark is created so there is something with a bit of a load there. Any suggestions, heading to the gulf in 4 days and want no issues obviously.
    Last edited by rlclod; 03-15-2015, 12:51 PM.

This sounds like an ignition key issue to me
    The internals of the key lock are not centering so that even though the key indicator says everything is off, the contacts are still on the on position

The only other thing that comes to mind would be if you can remove the key in any position in which case the power could be still on with the key removed when it is not exactly lined up in the off position

What you should be hearing when power is applied is the high pressure fuel pump kicking in to pressurize the fuel system
    That only happens from the wiring that goes through the keyed ignition switch

Art

Comment

Originally posted by rlclod View Post
      Hi there, went to take boat for first oil change as the oil light was blinking last I used it in January. I noticed the battery was dead...didn't think much about it because it is stored in the barn, non insulated but enclosed. The serviceman said he charged the battery, when I got home it was dead. So I charged it, and when I hooked the cables back up...automatically heard the motor beep and do some electronic stuff inside like when you turn the key to the first position and noticed the three indicator lights on the dash were lit up...engine, oil, and the other one. There was no key in ignition either... Also notice that when I hook the cables to the positive post that a decent spark is created so there is something with a bit of a load there. Any suggestions, heading to the gulf in 4 days and want no issues obviously.
      When you hooked your battery back up did you get the white sub battery cable from the engine back on the positive battery terminal?

Comment

I'm assuming that when you got a spark at the battery terminal, you must have had the battery master switch "on." That in itself is inadvisable when connecting or disconnecting your battery, in my opinion. Depending on the magnitude of the spark, it might indicate a problem, such as a faulty igniton switch, concerning which, I agree with Art. But a smaller spark, not accompanied with all you say occured with the engine electronics, could have merely been a light or other switched item that you had inadvertently turned on. What I'm saying is, I know of people, and I think you might be one of them, that never turn the battery switch off. I always turn the master switch off when I'm through with the boat for the day, since at my age, it's not unusual for me to forget to turn off some apparatus, or to accidently bump a rocker switch and consequently run down my house battery.

Another reason for never connecting or disconnecting the battery with the master switch on is that the switch itself, and all marine grade switches are made in such a way that they will NOT spark when turned off or on, in order that there is no chance of igniting any fumes from a faulty gas tank. The spark you encountered could have ended up being frightening at best, and disastrous at worst.
        Last edited by Harper; 03-15-2015, 06:20 PM.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Art, thank you for your insight. It appears that the ignition switch may be faulty...I am taking it back to service tomorrow to check. The weird thing is when you turn the key one click clockwise from the off position, the indicator lights go off...

Fin, thank you for your help, yes, I hooked that wire up as well.

Harper, Thank you! Unfortunately, there appears to have never been a master switch installed. Unless, I am completely missing something here, the cables go straight from battery to motor, etc... Your input is very much appreciated and well received, and we will be installing a master switch...

Any further input is GREATLY appreciated!

Now to figure out how to get ignition switch here and in by Thursday...

Comment

FedEx overnight

I would be curious what type of switch was installed to start with
            Sounds almost like a auto type that you can turn to the left for accessories and to the right to run. The real question would be- why is the key removable in some other position than off

Good luck
            Art

Comment

Seems to be corrected!

Many, many thanks to all for your support! The problem was contamination inside the Suzuki harness plug from moisture...sprayed with contact cleaner and let dry. All was normal after that. You could see where the crap was shorting across leads in the connector plug. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
              X