Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connector to SDS Port for using engine interface at wire harness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connector to SDS Port for using engine interface at wire harness?

New DF20ATL motor being added to my existing NMEA network with twin DF175s.

The DF20A is a remote not a tiller and I found the data interface connector and trim connector on the wiring harness going to the control box. I have connected the engine interface cable to my NMEA 2K network, but the unconfigured engine interface fails to show up in my buss device list.

I'm told that I must disconnect some connectors by the ECM and reconnect one side to my SDS port connector in order to have the wiring harness carry digital NMEA data. I see the SDS port connector (see pic below), but I don't see the matching connectors near the ECM to disconnect? Are they below the ECM and can only be accessed by removing the ECM? If so, how does one remove the ECM?

Thanks
    Attached Files

Originally posted by kdubinwa View Post
    New DF20ATL motor being added to my existing NMEA network with twin DF175s.

The DF20A is a remote not a tiller and I found the data interface connector and trim connector on the wiring harness going to the control box. I have connected the engine interface cable to my NMEA 2K network, but the unconfigured engine interface fails to show up in my buss device list.

I'm told that I must disconnect some connectors by the ECM and reconnect one side to my SDS port connector in order to have the wiring harness carry digital NMEA data. I see the SDS port connector (see pic below), but I don't see the matching connectors near the ECM to disconnect? Are they below the ECM and can only be accessed by removing the ECM? If so, how does one remove the ECM?

Thanks
    Good question. I've never seen the DF20A.

Only comment I can make is that on the larger motors, you disconnect the engine harness connection that is also found nearby the ECU, and connect it to the SDS connector instead.

On those larger motors, in effect what you are doing is sending the digital data up to the control box/dash, instead of analogue data. Both eminate from the ECU but from different connectors.

All I can suggest is to see if you can trace the harness from the control box back to the engine and see where it connects. That should be the plug you are looking for, if the approach Suzuki has taken with this model is the same as for the larger hp engines. So you are obviously looking for a connector of the same size as the SDS port.

Good luck, let us know how you go.

Comment

It may be tucked under the ECU. I see two clips at the sides near the top of the ECU and then a rubber collar going around the middle of the ECU. When I press the clips I can tilt the ECU towards me a little (out away from the engine) but it doesn't come loose. I do not want to break anything!

Any tips on removing the ECU so I can get at the harness connections tucked in at the bottom?

Comment

Working...
      X