Brand new DF6 question on engaging Reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new DF6 question on engaging Reverse

Just got a new DF6 and have it on a stand. Have not put oil or gas in yet.

Forward and Neutral lock into place but Reverse doesn't want to engage at all.
    I did not apply any force. Is this normal when not running? I'm thinking Operator error?

It's my first Suzuki and its great there's a forum. Appreciate the assist on this.

Doug

Well, it was Operator Error......Reverse locked right in by turning the prop manually counter clockwise....

Comment

I read your question and was about to answer....but you figured it out. Usually when you shift the gears, your motor is running, and it's in the water. The running of the motor provides just enough movement of all the driveline components to easily facilitate shifting. So you should not expect to ever have a problem such as you encountered with the motor mounted and running. It wasn't meant to shift in the configuration that you tried it. In other words, you should always expect to have to manually move some part of the driveline just slightly in either direction to shift with the motor bench-mounted and not running.

One other note......when you are on the water, you sometomes hear other boaters (usually new boaters) "grinding" the gears when maneuvering around the dock, as they shift back and forth between forward and reverse. It does that because they are shifting it gingerly (too slow), thinking that it's proper and trying not to cause undue wear, I suppose. However, it is that very slow movement of the shift lever that causes all the racket. You should move the shift lever smoothly but smartly.....don't try to ease it into gear.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
      X