• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF140 Check Engine Light but no Code

2005 DF 140 Johnson/Suzuki
    135 hours runtime
    Oil reset alarm never been reset per SDS
    Previous codes, Low Voltage 41 Times (has new AGM battery and measure 14.4 to 14.6 volts at idle)
    Low Oil Pressure 5 times last one 18 hours ago
    CMP and CKP once

The Check engine light comes on but does not blink a code with the warning light. The beeper goes off for 10 seconds, and the check engine light stays on. Takes about an hour of running to get it to activate the first time, then every time the same day you restart the engine same alarm pattern. No other warning lights on, (overheat, oil..) just check engine. I believe the oil light flashes if it is the oil change reminder, but I am not seeing that.

When got home running on hose with SDS connected and the alarm sounded, but no additional or new codes showed up on SDS. Strange since the Check engine light was on, the warning buzzer went off for ten seconds, but no code on SDS in the current codes section. The engine runs great, idles at 688 RPM and shows 14.4 - 14.6 volts at idle. One possible issue is the old Johnson controls were used when the Suzuki was installed and the engine runs without the safety lanyard installed. Once the lanyard did come off and the engine quit, but you can start and run without the lanyard installed. The spring that causes the ignition switch to pop when the lanyard disconnects is shot

The rest of the story, I bought this boat (Key West 2020) a few months ago, for a great deal ($8000). It had not run in a year, and the hours were unknown. I bought a SDS to read the hours and see what alarms had gone off in the past, but I am a novice with SDS. I drain 53 gallons out of the tank, changed all filters and all fuel lines. The engine had 122 hours and 56 minutes on it when I bought it. The alarms that had gone off are listed above. I am very happy with the Suzuki; starts immediately, idles and runs great, looking forward to resolving that minor issue, and putting a few thousand hours on the engine.

Grumpy

Sds?

Just read your problem, and I have the same prob, too. I have a 2004 Johnson/Suzuki 115df. did oil change few days ago, and the check engine light lit up, and buzzed for about ten seconds. I get 3 flashes , followed by four flashes, over and over. engine running perfect, but light keeps flashing. I would like to know what an SDS is. as I am thinking that it may be a trouble code manual. if it is a manual with the problem codes in it , I sure would like to know where to get one! this engine has never given me any trouble, and I have put a bunch of hours on it. if you can help me with this, I sure would appreciate it!!! Sounds like we are in the same boat......no pun intended!!!

Comment

Missive, the SDS is the Suzuki Diagnostic System, it is the software used by technicians to connect their laptop to the engine and get the engine diagnostics and to do various system checks. You can buy it and the special cable to connect to the laptop online, check eBay.

Grumpy, I am sorry but I can't suggest anything much for your issues. Just check the port side of the engine below the water flushing attachment, you will probably have heard about the corrosion in the engine holder for the early series 90-140 HP motors like yours in that location - I have seen reports where engines with this corrosion starting to come through had wiring that was being damaged at that location from hot exhaust gases, and that was throwing up weird codes.

Worth checking anyway. You will probably need to take the cowl and lower engine covers off to be able to see the plug concerned.

Other than that, check the white battery sub-cable and make sure there is no corrosion in it.

That's all I have got for you! Hope it helps.

Comment

Did you guys try resetting the oil reminder? it is suppose to alert you every 100 hours from the last time it was reset (oil changed).
        I don't have my book in front of me but --turn ignition to on position (do not start engine) and then with a short period of time 15 seconds(?) -remove the emergency stop /saftey lanyard- and pull the center button out 3 to 5 times ..
        turn the switch off .. reinstall the saftey lanyard..
        you should also make a note of the number of engine hours as this procedure resets the 100 hour reminder clock for the next oil change
        and this procedure should be done every time you change oil..

Art

Comment

The oil change reminder lights up (flashes) the oil pressure light, not the check engine light. But Craig, I would recommend that you check that ferrous plug that Moonlighter mentioned. It does cause some strange happenings, and there is no alarm/warning system to let you know that it's a problem. If you want to search for "ferrous plug," make sure you use "advanced search." Use of the regular search feature just gives a response that a security token is missing.
          Last edited by Harper; 04-29-2015, 12:39 PM.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Update

Thank you for the replies. My wife and I bought this boat for our son and he currently has the boat. I talked to him about the replies and here is what he is planning:

1. Ordering a replacement Aluminum plug for the steel O2 plug that causes so many problems on these engines. We checked the plug when we bought the boat and it looks brand new, but we are going to replace it before it becomes an issue.

2. Change the engine and lower unit oil, engine oil filter, and rebuild the water pump. Just in case it is a overheat issue, but the overheat light does not come on.

3. Replace the ignition switch and safely lanyard switch, so that the oil reset can be done. Per SDS it has never been reset, but the oil looks new. (The old safety lanyard plug does not work well enough to reset the oil reminder, does not spring in and out)

Missive, check your PM, I send you info about the SDS.

My son is a machinist and the shop owners are taking him out Tuna fishing this weekend. So it will be next weekend before he gets a chance to work on the boat. Once he does I will report back the status. Thanks for taking time to reply, and hopefully I can help someone in return.

Craig

Comment

Wanted to post a quick update. Took the boat to a dealer and after working on it for over a day they have determined the issue is with the warning gauge/buzzer. A new gauge/buzzer is on order so hopefully the boat will be back in the water next weekend. I would have never found the issue with the gauge, I guess everything that has electronics in it can go bad. If anything changes on the diagnostic I will update this thread.

Craig

Comment

Thanks for the update. Let us know if the problem is solved.

Also a good idea to replace that safety lanyard connector as planned.

Comment

Working...
                X