2.5 hp 4 stroke will NOT start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5 hp 4 stroke will NOT start

I have a brand-new 2.5 hp 4 stroke; I've used it for about 2 weeks for each of that last 3 years. First time after a long break, it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to start; in fact I can't always start it. Once I do get it started, it starts easily thereafter. Any ideas? I'm using 91 gas without ethanol....very frustrating. Don't know what the trick is. One time I tried many times one day and gave up, and then for the heck of it tried the next day and no problem....

Not exactly "brand new" if you've had it three years. Long breaks (you're saying it sits for a year at a time after two weeks' running?) aren't particularly good on your motor, especially if you haven't put it away properly. I assume with a small outboard like that, that stale fuel is not a problem in your tank, since it is most likely a portable tank. So here's my theory....you leave fuel in the fuel injection system (the VST, if the smaller engines have them, but at least some in the lines, filters, and in the rail) and there is enough there to cause you a problem on the first attempts to start. By the time that year is up, I don't care what kind of gas you're using, it has turned to varnish. Plus, if you let it sit for months on end without having fogged it, then its insides are going to be pretty dry, and possibly even lightly coated with rust. After several attempts to start it, you've now lubed it a little, and also have moved fresh fuel into the system, so eventually it starts.

If that is indeed what's happening, then the solution would be to run it out of fuel when you shut it down for the season, or otherwise drain the fuel system completely. Also, if you're going to have those long periods without runnng it, it really is a good idea to pull the spark plugs and spray some fogging oil into the cylinders to keep any moisture from setting in on the cylinder walls.

By the way, no engine, no matter how well cared for and set up for storage, is going to fire right up the first few times after sitting for a year.

Edit....okay....I looked up your 2.5 and see that it's carbureted, and has its own fuel tank. I don't know if you're draining the fuel or not before putting it to bed, but if you're not, you need to, from everything....the tank, the carb bowl, etc. Everything else I wrote yesterday also applies.
    Last edited by Harper; 05-16-2015, 07:18 PM.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
    X