Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interface

Here's hoping someone can help me. I would like to interface my 2003 Suzuki DF 70 with my Lowrance HDS unit to get diagnostics and fuel consumption.Would anybody have any idea on what items I will need to do this. Many thanks.

Moonlighter is our expert here but suspecting you may have a NEMA 2000 backbone for the chart plotter you may only have to get the engine interface cable

Comment

Go to top right of the page to 'search'
      Click on 'advanced search'
      Fill in NEMA 2000
      There are a number of good information articles there

Comment

Good morning Mike, and Art, from downunder!

Mike, your 2003 year engine is right on the cusp of when the Suzuki engines became NMEA2000 capable. So no guarantees, but a fair to good chance it will work.

As Art said, the system works through a NMEA2000 network, that is the only way.

If you want to give it a go, you will need:

1 x NMEA2000 starter kit. Contains the cables, T pieces, power cable and terminating resistors needed to create your network backbone. Cost about $70, Lowrance make these kits, as do Garmin, either will work fine.

1x Suzuki engine interface cable, cost about $120 from online suppliers like Browns Point Suzuki or Precision Suzuki marine (eBay)

1 x Engine interface to SDS adapter cable. You need the reverse K8 model because your engine has the round SDS (diagnostic plug) on the engine. Cost about $80, I think.

The process goes like this:

Create the Network backbone behind the dash on your boat. Find a power source for the network, many people use a spare + wire from the engine wiring harness, which means that the network gets power whenever the engine is turned on.

Then connect the interface cable to the adapter cable, and plug the adapter cable into the SDS plug on your engine. The SDS plug is the same plug that the mechanic connects their laptop to when servicing the engine. It is located on the port side of the engine above the black fuse box.

Run the interface cable back through the rigging tube to the boat. You will need to take the plastic lower side covers off the engine to get access to the rubber grommet where the cables exit the engine and run the cable through there.

Inside the transom, connect the interface to a T piece and put a terminating resistor on one end of the T and attach a long extension cable from the kit to the other and run it up to behind the dash. Plug into the side of another T piece there. Connect the final 2 T pieces together and connect one to the power supply and the other to the Lowrance using a short drop cable from the kit. Put the other terminating resistor onto the open end of the end T piece.

Done.

Turn the Suzuki key on, turn power to the network on, and turn the HDS on. You now have to configure the boat by setting the engine and tank configuration, all this means is that you set the network to tel it you have a single engine and single fuel tank (if that is what you have) and set the fuel tank capacity.

Now, if you go to the Info page on the HDS you will see a virtual dashboard and if you start the engine, the gauges will come alive.

The only thing left is to customise those displays, if you wish, to suit your personal preferences. Your Lowrance manual tells you how to do that. You can also overlay engine and fuel related data on any page on the HDS if you like.

Have a look at this paper on the Lowrance website that gives you diagrams etc that will help all of this make sense.

http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowra...Connection.pdf

Cheers

Grant
        Last edited by Moonlighter; 05-16-2015, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Interface

Thank you Art and Moonlighter for the information it is much appreciated, and thanks again for the quick reply.

Comment

Working...
          X