water in oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water in oil

I have had my suzuki df50 for 14 years with no problems. The engine is flushed with a treatment every time I go into saltwater. The repairman who has serviced this engine for the past 14yrs. is not in buisness any longer, so I had to find someone else for service. This past year I had him winterize the engine and repair the water pump. I have never had water in the crankcase oil till now. The engine is in good condition and always out of the water. I am trying to find what I should look for to correct this problem. The engine runs great. I also had to remove some of the watery oil because it was over full. Is there any seals where water can get into the crankcase from the water pump? I would like to thank anyone for some help.
    Last edited by SteveReb; 06-06-2015, 09:38 AM.

I am in the process of repowering my 2004 2004 140hp due to water in the crankcase oil.

There is no relation to your water pump and your problem.

The best scenario is a bad gasket at the base of the power head. The power head must be removed to get to the gasket. It could be a bad head gasket.

The grim reality is that your problem may be a cracked head or block. If so, the cost of repair is likely so great that it will approach the cost of a new motor. Check the price for a head and block and you will see. Even if you are willing to pay to fix you will face the question of the extent of damage caused by running with water in the oil. The crank bearings are most likely to be damaged.

Comment

Since I wrote the thread the person who did the repairs could not find out the problem since he has no idea where the problem is. He is not familiar with Suzuki engines. So I found a Suzuki reppairman and brought the boat to them. I am waiting to here from them. I would like to thank you for your info because I have no idea of what would have caused this. I am a retired mechanic and it would be difficult to remove the parts myself. I had a 40hp Evinrude years ago, but I was alot younger to do the work. Also I have been using an oil treatment called PoweUp (www.maryngroup.com) which protects the engine from being damaged by water and anything else that can hurt it. This product is a little expemsive but worth it. I have been using it for over 20 years in my cars and 14 years in the boat. Some people have said that they have lost oil in a crankcase and the engine still ran without seizing up. The grease they have is also great. I have been using the grease in the trailer bearings for the last 14 years and have not replaced any bearings after using the trailer in saltwater. I am not too worried about the internal parts.
      Last edited by SteveReb; 06-11-2015, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Inlander since my last reply the Suzuki repairman thinks that the person I had did the work on the engine may have not tightned the thermostat housing down good that water ran down the engine into the lower cover and filled the crankcase through the dipstick tube. They took the boat out for a spin and found not water in the crankcase. I am trying out the boat this coming Monday to make sure it is okay. The other repairman did replace the thermostat last fall and that is why we think that was the problem.

Comment

Working...
        X