Batteries for DF175 outboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries for DF175 outboards

I have a twin hull powerboat with two DF175 outboards. I have read that Suzuki recommend cranking batteries that can be topped up rather than maintenance free, AGM or Gel.
    I have two wet cranking batteries that are very difficult to access and top up. I also have an AGM battery for the fridge and other accessories. All three are linked by two VSRs, and I recently installed a 10 amp Cetek charger.
    How much harm can I suffer from using two AGMs as cranking batteries providing they exceed the recommended minimum power? I do not want to have to disconnect or drag them out until they need replacement.

I've never heard of a Suzuki recommendation of no AGM or maintenance-free batteries. Use 'em. I've got two maintenance-free AGMs (start and house) that have given me reliable service for six years now. I'm expecting that they'll need replacement some day soon, but so far, they're still goin' strong. When I have to replace them, I plan to use DieHard Platinum Marine Batteries (also AGMs).
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Batteries

Mike,
      Thanks for your observations. I might have mixed up the brands, Yamaha have some reservations about earlier AGM and Gel batteries. Your experience suggests that I can confidently look at AGMs when my current batteries fail.
      John

Comment

Working...
      X