Suzuki smis engine interfaces going out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki smis engine interfaces going out

Hello I have a set of df150 with the smis system. The system i bought with the boat that was purchased in Michigan and I live in Louisiana. I had a problem with one interface reading wrong fuel flow all of a sudden changed interface and all good. Now the other engine interface this last trip started doing the same thing. Also got a flash of overheat and went off so fast didn't see what engine but both engine temp were 134 degree range when went off. Could this also be interface issues. The system is still under warranty has anyone gone straight through Suzuki for parts the dealers are a 2 month backlog for a $100 part. Are these systems that known to problems? Thanks Chris

Hi Chris

Once up and running the system is typically very reliable and stable. It is surprising to hear about 2 interfaces both failing so soon. Perhaps just a bad batch, but that would be very bad luck!

I would be having a closer look at the network to make sure that it is set up correctly - in other words, that the cables and network backbone are all set up correctly and that the terminating resistors at each end are installed properly. It is not difficult to do, the network should be behind the dash so you can check it yourself. Make sure all devices attached to the network connect to the "leg" part of each T piece, and that the T's are connected together like this: TTT.

Comment

Bad interface

Thanks moonlight. I think I will try to remove my ray marine system from the network and see if that doesn't fix it. I checked all connections and went through the boat setup again and everything is correct. I ordered another one. Just wondering if it is worth getting the emulator to do soft grade updates or is there another way to update through raymarine . I know lowrance can. Thanks Chris

Comment

Hi Chris

I don't think the Raymarine is likely to be the issue. Unless you have some mix of a Raymarine network and NMEA2000. If that is the case, is it possible that the network is getting power from more than one source?? That could be a reason for such a failure - must have only one power supply to a N2K network.

But it seems very strange to have interface cables failing like that, as I said, maybe just bad luck, but it does make me wonder if you've got something going on re the network or with your boat installation that is killing them.... If this keeps happening, then I would think you would definitely want to have to look closer at that aspect for sure.

One suggestion, an outside chance, but worth a check: check the voltage output from the engines. If there is something weird happening in your boats electrical system that is pumping too much voltage out, then that can damage the interfaces. I do recall one other instance here in Australia where one guy had issues with his motor's regulator outputting excessive voltage at higher engine revs into the batteries and thus into the electrical system. He fried a couple of interface cables before finding the problem.

BTW, the interface cables get power both from the network, and from their connection to the engines, so this voltage issue is very important, they are quite sensitive to both low and excessively high voltage. The Suzuki engines themselves are sensitive to voltage. So worth checking that all is well re the batteries, connections are clean and tight, battery cables are good, no corrosion etc, alternator charging properly (at all revs) too.

Unfortunately you can only do the updates to interface software or fuel calibration via a Lowrance/Simrad or, as you know, via the emulator program for the laptop plus the special cable.

Re the emulator, It would just about be cheaper/easier to pick up a used Lowrance Gen 1 HDS unit (any version as long as it's got a SD card slot) and make a lead to connect it to a battery with alligator clips, and then just a N2K drop cable to connect it to the network temporarily. Then do the updates thru that, you can download them from Lowrance and copy the files to the SD card. Piece of cake!
        Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-09-2015, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Moonlight

Thanks will try those thing and let you know thanks again

Comment

Working...
          X