Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Df200 trim jerk

Hi all,

My 2012 sooz will jerk when going down until it reaches the trim rams, how can I sort this? I assume it is is air somewhere?

Cheers

No one?!?!?

Maybe I should have got that etec and got an answer already

Cheers

Comment

Well, pilgrim, if there is air in the system, cycling all the way up and down a few times oughta take care of that. Is the reservoir properly filled? Also not exactly sure what you mean by "jerk."
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Hi Mike,

When I put the outboard down on the tilt ram only it bounces sometimes until it hits the trim rams.

It is common on Outboards they do this, some say air in it but mines has been like this for a while, some say the saddle needs tightening. As I can't find anything about this on my engine I thought I'd ask here.

Cheers

Comment

Spray good with CRC lubricant. Stops my DF250 from jerking.

Comment

Well, that's why I asked about your definition of jerk. There is a certain amount of flex or "give" in the transom of just about any "smaller" boat, say 23' or less, and when you're suddenly moving 500+ pounds of metal, it will bounce a little when it starts to move down. It will also bounce when you stop the rapid downward movement while still above the rams. There is less of this in going up, since you already have that mass moving up on the rams when it gets to the tilt portion of its travel. I guess you are referring to something more pronounced than this.

However, it would be difficult for anyone to say for sure that you have a problem without actually seeing to what degree you experience this "jerk." If you could perhaps include a video or a link to a video of your outboard as it does this, then it would be easier to pose an answer.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by white diamond View Post
              Spray good with CRC lubricant. Stops my DF250 from jerking.
              What are you spraying? The tilt shaft? It should be greased periodically, so I'm not sure why spraying it would help, if it has been properly greased.
              Mike
              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Yes, the tilt shaft. Sometimes the motor will jerk when lowering after sitting in the water for two or three weeks. I just lean over the transom and spray with CRC656. No more jerking or bouncing when tilting down.

Comment

So you don't think that by thinning and/or washing the grease off by spraying with a thin oil (which would act also as a solvent) is contributing to the washing off of the marine grade grease, thus doing more to cause the problem rather than help?

CRC6-56 is good for a lot of things, but it's mainly a corrosion inhibitor, a water displacement product, kind of like a marine WD-40. In that it's petroleum-based, it's also a solvent or thinner to any thicker petroleum-based product such as grease.
                  Last edited by Harper; 07-07-2015, 12:51 PM.
                  Mike
                  μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

it is 100% nothing to do with the transom, the outboard is on a ribcraft 6.8 rib and they are the mutts nuts of ribs.

the movement is quite violent, the whole boat shakes on the trailer. i'll try to get some video but spraying anything on the rams won't fix mine, tried it.

it maybe only does this 10% of the time so when i last had it at the dealer it didn't do it ofcourse.

it is still under warranty so probably going to take it back to the dealer if it isn't an easy fix.

i'll have a look at how much oil is in the tilt mech and go from there, i was hoping someone had the same issue and found the cure, google has a lot of references to it but all on evinrudes that i can see.

cheers
                    Last edited by dubrus; 07-07-2015, 07:12 PM.

Comment

The tilt, ram piston O ring is sticking on the way down, not allowing for a smooth slide, caused by a hardening condition, sometimes the flow valve can be pulsing also.

Comment

Oh, I believe you. I was just seeking the best description. It's hard to quantify such an issue without seeing it. Since it is under warranty, that looks like your best avenue right now. Best to get it documented as being a fault while under warranty. Best of luck on finding a solution. Let us know how it goes.
                        Mike
                        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                        X