DF40 Poppet Valve / Overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF40 Poppet Valve / Overheating

I cant find the poppet valve on my father in laws 2005 DF40. I am working a bad overheating issue and want to check it for corrossion. Motor runs fine at idle and under load upto getiing on plane. Then it alarms and goes into safe mode after getting on plane for two minutes. I have replaced the water pump, thermostat and am running a salt remover rinse through the water jacket. I have looked at a few diagrams and nothing makes sence to where it is. Seems like an after thought on the thermostat diagram on Boats.net Any help would be aprreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg
    Double check the lower unit installation to make sure all water pump seals are fitting and installed correctly
    I am thinking you should also check the thermostat to verify it is opening a correct temperature
    (Remove- place in a pan on stove --using a thermometer watch the temp -it should open at the correct temp.
    j
    Good liiiinc

Comment

Thanks,
      I put a new impeller in and checked to see if i screwed that up and it seems to work fine. New thermostat appeared to be working . I shut the motor down after a heat alarm and pulled the thermostat and it was open. Replaced and cleaned all the small water lines coming from the jacket. Let it cool and was closed. I am doing a vinegar treatment seen on here and the hull truth. I just cant identify the poppet valve that i have read about on here to get it checked out. Any idea?

Comment

Found the water press valve. Between the oil pan and drive shaft housing. PITA to get to. terrible design. Every other make and model seems to be in a location to allow for service or repair with out a major overhaul.

Comment

Hi. I'm in the middle of a repair of a DF50 which had corroded cooling passages and past overheating issues. I'm curious what you found when you inspected the relief valve? I may consider adding that to my inspections, but see it involves a couple gaskets (my oil pan is still bolted in). Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X