2000 DF70 4 stroke starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 DF70 4 stroke starting problem

I have never had an issue starting engine. Went out the other day and ran the boat for about an hour. Shut it off for about 45 mins. Upon an initial start attempt the self system check went thru its normal test however the horn seemed week. When I went to turn it over nothing. There was plenty of battery power to run the lights. Tried again now nothing. No system check no horn. All battery terminals tight. I had just 2 weeks earlier removed and cleaned cables as preventative maintenance. Called for assitance hoping a jump
    was all I needed. Nothing help proceeded to get towed.Could not get a system check to run even with a jumper battery.
    I removed the battery and charged at home. It only drew about 2 amps for 30mins so I know that wasn`t the problem.
    I looked at the wire schematic and found two seperate relays. I found them on the engine when I pulled the cover. Is there any chance that one of these relays could be bad!
    Un-like checking a fuse, have no idea how to check these other than buying new ones and replacing.
    Any thoughts or helpful hints would be appreciated.

this sounds like something is failing in the main power cable
    if the wiring is 15 years old.. you need to start there.. cables can corrode inside the insulation and without much warning just quit.. take the cable and bend and feel along it for soft or weak spots.. could have just a few braids holding it together.

also check where the battery terminals terminate at/on the motor. clean and tight with no corrosion

how old is your battery? even though it looks good.. you might consider taking it into a battery dealer and have it load tested..
    if it over a couple of years old.. could be a cell is just not working.

I doubt it is a relay.. however there are several relays in the fuse box that are interchangeable..
    they have the same part number stamped on them..

also since you state you are getting nothing -no horn - .. there have been a number of posts dealing with the "white wire" that runs from the battery to the helm.. runs through ignitions switch/neutral switch back to the engine and ECU..
    this has an inline fuse.. it is also known to be corroded off inside the splice that comes from the battery on/off switch
    sometimes this wire runs to the helm and powers up the dash.. sometimes just to the ignition switch.. if it runs through the helm.. an nothing is working in that area.. start at the battery connection..

good luck and lets us know what you find or come back with more questions

Art.............
    Last edited by artdf175; 08-04-2015, 04:45 PM. Reason: adding comments

Comment

after re-reading your comments.. now no horn etc.. it really sounds like the "white wire" problem
      click on the "Search" box
      click on "Advanced Search"
      in the what to search-fill in- "white wire"
      I have posted on this subject numerous times

art..

Comment

DF70 starting problem

Thanks for the feed back. I found the main 30 amp fuse on the engine blown. Glad I didn't just change n go.i looked under my helm n found a 10 amp breaker blown as well for my accessories. Then I found my vhf radio didn't work which is always powered with master on??i started looking for the reason why. After several hours isolating. I found the light bulb that going into the back of the hour meter was broken free from the back of gauge. There were 4 separate wires attached. I think the wires touched the metal bracket on the back of the tach gauge. I wrapped the exposed connections on this bulb. Changed 30 amp fuse on engine and 10 amp fuse on accessories. Everything now works except for the vhf radio. That inline fuse was blown but I think it fried the radio. Left me entire wire bundle opened . Will attempt to run boat and make sure I got the actual reason that caused my dead short.thanks for feed back. Excuse typos while responding on small iPhone screen. Can't see half of the screen

Comment

Working...
        X