how to update software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to update software?

I have 2014 df300, 2 of the 4inch smis gauges, and fuel level sensor with Garmin MFD. I would like to update my software for the motor, gauges, fuel sensor. The main reason for this is gauges are flaky, have seemed to reset themselves several times forgetting all the pages I have setup. Can I do this with diagnostic cable and software easily purchased on ebay since I can't do it with my Garmin? Is there any risk if I do?
    I have found the update files here http://www.lowrance.com/suzuki . They also have some software to do the upgrade but it looks like pc needs to be connected to NMEA network and I don't know how I would make that connection. Can't find info on that connector.
    Thanks
    Last edited by scharebear; 08-10-2015, 05:02 AM.

You need to be a bit careful updating software. Need to keep it aligned so they play properly together.

Yes the Lowrance website you found is where to get the updates.

You will need a special cable to connect a laptop computer to the network. They are available from Lowrance. Then you will need to download and install the HDS emulator software from the Lowrance website to the laptop. Once you have it all setup you will then be able to update the engine interface cable, the SMIS gauges, and possibly the fluid level sensor ( if a software update is available for that sensor)

Now be careful. When you get all that setup, you must only update the SMIS gauges one at a time!! This means you MUST disconnect one from the network, update the other one, then reverse the process and do the second one with the first one disconnected from the network.

It is of course easy to do all this with a HDS. Can you borrow one from someone for a day or two along with a power cable? All you need then is a short N2K cable and connect it to the network (to one of the T pieces for one of the SMIS gauge) and you are away.

If you are not confident with all of this, best to take it to a knowledgeable Suzuki dealer in your area to get them to do it.

Before any of that, check the power supply to the network. Poor network power supply can cause flaky gauge performance.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 08-10-2015, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your help. Can update be done with diagnostic cable and software that can be found here?:
      Professional Suzuki Outboard Marine Diagnostic Kit | eBay
      I imagine this is how suzuki dealer would accomplish the task. It plugs directly into the engine.
      Thanks again

Comment

No, that is the engine diagnostic software. It can't be used to update the NMEA2000 devices. It doesn't connect to the network.

Refer to my previous reply for what is required.
        Last edited by Moonlighter; 08-10-2015, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help

Comment

HDS Emulator

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
            You need to be a bit careful updating software. Need to keep it aligned so they play properly together.

Yes the Lowrance website you found is where to get the updates.

You will need a special cable to connect a laptop computer to the network. They are available from Lowrance. Then you will need to download and install the HDS emulator software from the Lowrance website to the laptop. Once you have it all setup you will then be able to update the engine interface cable, the SMIS gauges, and possibly the fluid level sensor ( if a software update is available for that sensor)

Now be careful. When you get all that setup, you must only update the SMIS gauges one at a time!! This means you MUST disconnect one from the network, update the other one, then reverse the process and do the second one with the first one disconnected from the network.

It is of course easy to do all this with a HDS. Can you borrow one from someone for a day or two along with a power cable? All you need then is a short N2K cable and connect it to the network (to one of the T pieces for one of the SMIS gauge) and you are away.

If you are not confident with all of this, best to take it to a knowledgeable Suzuki dealer in your area to get them to do it.

Before any of that, check the power supply to the network. Poor network power supply can cause flaky gauge performance.
            Hi Grant, Do you have any links to the emulator software/ I have searched the web but can't seem to find where the software anywhere.
            regards,
            Tom

Comment

Tom, you will find a link to download it here:

Suzuki - LOWRANCE | Marine Electronics

Comment

Thanks Grant,
                Appreciate your quick reply. Now all I need to do is track down an NMEA2000 to USB cable for a reasonable price.
                I'll thank you in person next time I can make it to a PBA meeting.
                regards,
                Tom.

Comment

Tom, by all means give me a call, i didnt realise you were here in SeQ and also a PBA Club member!

Depending on what you need to update, we may be able to temporarily hook it up to my boat's network and thus save you the trouble of getting the USB to can-bus cable ??

Ph 0409476173.
                  Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                  X