"Dark" engine oil after 70 hours use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dark" engine oil after 70 hours use?

My DF60A has about 90 hours on it. I did the break-in exactly like the manual stipulated. I changed the oil at 20 hours and it appeared unused. I have run this motor pretty hard (as advised) with a prop giving ~5,500-6,000 rpm at running speed. I have also done quite a bit of water skier (tube mostly) pulling which is taxing I suspect. Anyway, when I last checked the oil, it was quite dark (for what I'd expect in a 4-stroke). I decided to change the oil yesterday and it "felt" just fine, but was pretty dark. All my searches for dark or discolored oil all return lower unit questions. So - is it normal for the engine oil to be reasonably dark for a 4-stroke outboard after 70 hours of use? I suspect the detergents are just doing their job, but I was curious what others have noted? BTW, the outboard runs like a champ - it's simply outstanding!

Would ask about if you are experiencing any oil loss ?
    Do a 100 hour check up early check valve clearances
    Dirty oil and a l loss of oil Could be an indication that the rings did not seat correctly
    Art

Comment

Thanks Art - didn't use a drop of oil from the first change (was sitting at the exact same spot on the dipstick). Will check in each time I use if from here on and observe the color. The oil wasn't black (I have diesel vehicles - that's some discolored oil!). It was just a bit darker than I expected given the first break-in change at 20 hours... I have the extended warranty (special when I got the engine last March). I hope I don't have to use it!

Comment

The no oil loss is what should happen
        I can suggest changing at 100 hours then observe what happens after that
        If it is not black I would suspect it is just use
        I had ring and valve problems and the oil would be black with very little running and would use a quart of oil in 10 hours
        If you don't have an engine manual -get one it has a maintenance schedule plus a lot of information that no one ever tells you
        Art

Comment

Art,

Went ahead and changed the oil, so I'll be monitoring it very closely. On advise here (and elsewhere), I've run the engine (what I would consider) pretty hard (at 5,000-6,000 rpm). I wonder if that just "breaks it in" more than the 10 hours of gentle use during the manual's breakin recommendation. I have the shop manual BTW. Very useful (although the description of the shift rod disassembly during impeller replacement has me baffled). As I mentioned, I have a good warranty and other than running the engine at the recommended RPM, I've babied it. Still looks brand new (polished yesterday!). Thanks for the info!!!

Tom

Comment

Working...
          X