My 07 DF140 oil leak I can't see

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 07 DF140 oil leak I can't see

I have a DF140 (I replaced the metal plug with aluminum years ago, no issues) that started leaking oil. It is on the oil drain plug side, sort of on the inside top. I can't see under there what would be leaking. And yes, it's oil. Any ideas?

Sounds like it might be related to the oil filter or the oil cooler behind the filter.

Comment

I was thinking that too. But the oil appears to be running down on the transom side. I'll pull filter and explore tomorrow. Thanks

Comment

Found the leak

There is a perfect hole, not from corrosion on the middle unit, just below the uper mount assembly that attaches to the tilt. It looks like a bolt is missing, but the manual shows nothing. This is crazy. I have a pic but it really doesn't matter, not much help can be said, as the book shows the cast without holes.

Comment

Here is pic of hole

After I looked at the pic of the hole it is evident that it should not be there. What the heck happened and why is it there? If you look at any manual diagram this hole is not supposed to be there.
          Attached Files

Comment

So did you confirm that's where the oil is coming from? And if so have you had the leak from day one? You're right, that's far too perfect of a hole to have just opened up on its own with corrosion or other damage. Had to have been there all along.

Comment

Plugged hole and no leak

Yes the hole had to have been there but my engine has NEVER leaked oil. I put some metal putty over it and went fishing. 2 run hours and not a drop of oil. This is stupid.

Comment

It's a engine holder seal leak

Well had a little oil puddle after fishing the other day it's coming down from the oil pan seal (?) at the swivel shaft. Crap. Guess I'll be pulling that apart on my vacation in 2 weeks instead of fishing. Small leak, but I can't do that to our Bays, leave a sheen trail everywhere I go. Suppose I'll replace the engine holder too, even though I have the aluminum plug replacement for years..
                Bummer

Comment

That stinks. Good luck with the repair, take pictures!

Comment

Found the leak

There was a hole in a cover plate under the engine holder. This plate covers the linkage and is open to water and I guess corrosion.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for reporting back, it's always good to see when someone solves an issue and how they did it. Useful info for future forum questions.

Comment

Worthy to note about aluminum plug replacement

Also an interesting observation was the engine holder had very little corrosion. I did the plug swap when I first bought the boat new in 07. I have over 500 hrs and here's a pic of the area around the plug. I went ahead and metal epoxied over the plug area. Knowing how easy it is to get to the engine holder, the only issue is the 1000 bucks I'd have to spend on the new holder part.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Same leak I think

I have been trying to find the oil leak on my DF140 for months, and my inspection camera shows it dripping from the left top motor mount. I suspect the hole in the cover you found is the same problem i'm having and it is dripping onto the motor mount where I can not see. Did you have to pull the engine from the transom group to get that cover off?

Comment

Sorry for not answering

No, I left it attached. You pull water lines,valve cover aND exhaust manifold. Then there are 16 bolts you remove and with an engine lift you can pick up the power head. Way easy job. I did not disconnect any controls. I think you have to un bolt the throttle and neutral switch also.

Comment

One more thing

You will expose the drive shaft bearing and seals, which are below the bearing. It is very hard to find someone that can find those parts in their parts catalog. I went ahead and dropped the oil pan and pushed out bearing and replaced 3 seals. I am not sure you need to do that. You have to drop oil pan to do so. The reason this pick shows jack under lower unit.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X