Defect SMIS instrument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defect SMIS instrument

When i tried to start my DF100A this evening, the SMIS instrument only view a big S and 10 fast bip's was heard.
    The engine starts and run but no info.
    Everything works fine some days ago.

What have happend?

Not defect?

The instrument is not defect. It collapsing and going into a big blinking "S". After a cold-start it works again and I think my problem is a funny way to cable starting-cable to the engine. A 35mm2 cable is used but it goes from the battery and into the cabin, to a main switch and then back to the engine - after approx 1 meter of cable strapped down in a loom on the cable-stock. Total cable lenght is 8m for positive and 8m for negative. This cable length produsing a big voltage drop to the electronics (SMIS) and here is probably the problem. My Garmin 721xs going into voltage alarm and report 9,2V.

The solution must be to shorten in and perhaps use bigger cable.

Any comments?

Comment

Poor voltage will definitely affect the network performance. The SMIS gauge is powered from the network. So it is important to get good power up to the main busbars behind the dash.

First, check the battery connections - remove and give them a clean, and re-install and tighten battery terminal bolts (don't use wing-nuts).

Then check the battery itself, make sure it is fully charged and if in any doubt, have it load tested.

Also check the main power wires for continuity. And internal corrosion will affect performance.

Good luck, let us know how you go.

Comment

Getting a new instrument!

My Suzuki dealer tell me I get a new instrument! I am happy with that, but will I loose info about fuel used/fuel remain?

Comment

You shouldn't lose the fuel information. It is stored in the engine interface module, not the instrument itself. I think it is still advisable to thoroughly check your wiring and cabling. If the Garmin was indicating such a low voltage, there must be a reason, and it will likely continue to cause you problems. At least keep an eye on the voltage after the new gauge is installed to ascertain if you stilll have the low voltage situation.
          Last edited by Harper; 10-14-2015, 06:30 PM.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Wiring and cabling

Yes, I will fix the wiring, but the boat/engine is less then 1 year old and dealer guaranty will probably stop if I do things my self.
            The boat come from producer in France with this wiring - so say the dealer...
            I am not so sure...

Comment

New instrument

New instrument from dealer software ver 2.6 but the old instrument is 2.5. Changed instrument and got fault codes 9-4 and 9-5. Text is "Ck Rem key" and "Keyless Batt Low". More problems...?

Comment

New instrument

Software from 2.6 to 2.5 ok.
                Instrument ok, but once got "checksum error" and lost local settings in instrument.
                Adjust local settings again and stopped engine and set main switch off. Waited a few minutes and no more fault! :-)

Instument is now stabile when starting engine! :-)

Comment

Working...
                X