Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing a second hand 2006 40HP outboard

Hello.

I need some advice as I am intending to purchase a second hand 2006 40HP electric start Suzuki outboard engine.

We had a run with it in today in a 17ft boat and it fired on the first kick, had a very stable idle with no vibrations. As the owner revved it up step by step it happily came along all the way up to some 6000 RPM
    I asked him to rev it quickly up as well from idle to max and the engine revved up without a hitch.
    The paint seems like new with no corrosion visible. The prop is also clean and in black paint.

The electric tilt worked also fine.

The engine has been serviced by a pro in a workshop every year, except the last three years. The owner has changed the engine and gearbox oils himself during these three years, except after last years season as only the engine oil was changed. The reason for not changing the gearbox oil last year was that the boat wasn't used very much. The boat and engine has been stored on land during the winter. Not sure if a storage has been used the latter years, but it was used up until the last three years.

I have heard I should inspect the gear box oil for foam (water contamination), but where is the drain plug on this engine and what else should I look for?

:-)

Its the plug in the gear casing on the right hand side as you look at it from the back.There are 3 pozidrive plugs, you need the bottom one for draining, check for emulsion(white milk in the oil) and minute pieces of metal "filings". I fill/renew mine every spring with normal 80 weight auto diff oil. Never had trouble in 10 years(also a 40hp.)- if you need a perfect motor(300hrs) e-mail me, Mines for sale too.(Netherlands)

part nr 09248-10008- google will help.........or the parts forum.- Don't forget to use new washers when replacing the plug.
    Last edited by Drrnjns; 09-29-2015, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X