I-4 200s on heavy boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-4 200s on heavy boat

I am considering a pair of the new I-4 200hp as a repower but I am concerned about how they would perform on my boat. I was considering Yamaha 225 4 strokes but that is a lot of added weight and I would have to change to 29" centers which may be a problem for turning.
    I will try to attach the spec sheet.

Boat:
    1995 Stratos walk around
    weight without motors 5800#
    Beam 9'-10"
    deadrise 20 degrees
    Max hp 450
    Fuel tank 206 gallons

I have not been able to find any info on how these motors will perform on a boat like mine. Standard power for this boat was 200s but they were v-6 2 strokes. Right now I am running 225 carbed Johnsons. The boat runs good with my current motors but the fuel economy is terrible, best I get is 1 mile to a gallon running light, 1/2 tank of fuel. With 3 guys, full fuel, loaded with ice/gear it is less.

My main goal is to increase economy/range. I am not really concerned about top speed. Anyone have any experience with these motors on a similar boat?

I can only guess how they'll perform on your boat, but my opinion of that block is that you'll not be disappointed. It is the same block, same displacement as the DF150/175 (2.9L). I run the DF150 on a 20' CC boat weighing 2500#, and it is a very strong, very torquey motor. In my opinion, you cannot beat the HP/weight ratio of this new outboard. I'm sure you'll appreciate the fuel economy, too. I had to put a hydraulic jack plate on my boat to be able to get the motor to the proper height, but since using the jack plate, I am getting a consistent 5.8-6.0 mpg at a 28 mph cruise. It tops out around 40 mph (GPS) at 5900 RPM with two souls on board. By the way, I am running a Suzuki SS 16" prop with an 18½" pitch on my DF150.

edit ......... This might give you an idea of the performance on your boat ... http://www.suzukimarine.com/Product%...026%20DF200APL
    Last edited by Harper; 09-29-2015, 08:34 AM.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks, the test with the 26 Yellowfin is the closest comparison I have seen to my boat. Pretty impressive numbers

Comment

How do I start a thread? I have not been here in a while

I have twin f200ap 2015. My starboard motor will not start. Nothing happens when I push the button
        I have 2 error codes 3-3 and 4-2
        14 volts to the motor
        I checked the fuses under the cowl, all good. There is a starter relay which I was not able to check, I

Comment

Originally posted by Richinct View Post
          How do I start a thread? I have not been here in a while

I have twin f200ap 2015. My starboard motor will not start. Nothing happens when I push the button
          I have 2 error codes 3-3 and 4-2
          14 volts to the motor
          I checked the fuses under the cowl, all good. There is a starter relay which I was not able to check, I
          Go to this page

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...rd-parts-forum

and click on the + New Topic button that is just under the red Topics button.

Comment

Working...
          X