C10 gauge questions/issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C10 gauge questions/issues

Just installed two C10 gauges on newly installed twin DF175's and have a few questions/issues I'm hoping the group can help with.

1. For some reason the tilt/trim number keeps changing even though I'm not activating the trim. Anyone know what is causing this and how to resolve?

2. I have a cat boat with twin tanks. When I'm setting up my fuel monitoring in the vessel installation menu do I enter the total fuel for both tanks or the fuel capacity for each tank in its corresponding motor?

3. Is there a way to smooth out RPM readings? Mine are very erratic.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the gauges. Hopefully, I can these bugs worked out and they will be perfect.

Thanks in advance for the help.

When you do the initial network configuration, you should first of all, set up the boat as "2 engines/two tanks" and then it should ask you to enter the capacities for each tank separately.

Then once that's done, you can give each Suzuki interface on the network a name corresponding with its location (ie port and starboard), which then makes the gauges simpler to set up as you know what engines data you are dealing with.

Just remember when you are doing the config, you should have both engine keys turned on, otherwise the network won't detect them and you won't be able to do the config properly. Keys must be tuned to the on position where each engine beeps, but engines dont need to be running. When you give them their names you can turn one off so you know which one is which for the naming process, then turn it back on.

Re the trim gauge, I'm not familiar but I do think they may need to be calibrated - have you done that? The gauge manual should have details of what's required.

Once you've done the config process properly, the engine data should respond smoothly.

So in summary:
    Step 1 : turn network power and both engine keys on.
    Step 2 : go into C10 network menu for setup process and complete boat setup as 2 engines/2 tanks.
    Step 3 : set engines names
    Step 4: set tank capacities
    Step 5 : customise each C10 display to suit your preferences. Which means picking the engine data etc for each gauge as you require them to be. So you could select data from port engine to show on LHS gauge if that's what you want and some combined data on another page.

Let us know how you go.

Comment

Thanks Moonlighter. I went in and set everything up as you outlined.

Unfortunately the manual is silent on calibrating trim and it looks like the manual for the engine interface is geared more towards the old SMIS gauges as the calibration instructions don't jive with the buttons and menu features on the C10 gauges.

Does anyone know how to calibrate trim within the C10 gauges?

Comment

Fuel burn

Moonlighter
        I have a new boat with twin 140 zuks. The fuel burn rate is off on port motor. It says I'm burning 8 gph at wot. Stb motor say 11 gph. It shows on fuel up and while running on mpg. How to we get this right. Thanks

Comment

Sent you a message from dropbox.

In order to assist you, we will need you to give all details of your engines (year, hp) and what gauges/displays and anything else you have on your network.

Having said that, If I understand it correctly, this is a brand new boat and motors??

That being the case, my first question is- what has your dealer done to sort this out?! Have you been back to them to report the issues and ask them to fix it? That should be your first action.

Comment

Moon, OK I think I did reply but new at this forum stuff.
            Its a new boat with 2016 140 Suzuki's as in 2. I have the same problem as another post to you. THe dealer wants the boat at his shop, I want to solve my own problem is possible. If this is something I can correct that's how I want to learn. Dealer is last choice. The fuel-K is off on port motor showing -.4555 or so and the stb is .2222 or so. this correlates to the amount of fuel I am off on fill up. Have tried entering gals burned or restore to full. Neither change what goes on. THis weekend I showed 75gasl burnt. I took on 100. It shows 3.0 mpg and I got 2.15.. How to correct ? thank you for your time

Comment

Ok, thanks for telling us that the K values are off. Its kind of a critical bit of info and tells us the likely cause of the problem!!

If the K value is off, then someone must have calibrated the fuel flow when they were refilling the tanks.

Perhaps you did that inadvertently? Or oerhaps the dealer??

I am not familiar with the C10's, but when you are doing the "refuel" process on the SMIS gauges or on Lowrance or Simrad MFD's, the process goes like this, and the C10 is probably very similar given its manufacturd by the same people and runs a similar software design:

In fuel menu, select refuel.

Then you have a choice to make depending on whether you have filled the tank to full, or done a partial fill by just adding X amount of fuel.

Now, if you have filled to full, you just highlight "set to full" or equivalent, and hit enter. Then a popup asks if you want to calibrate? If the fuel added to fill the tank matches the amount the system says, you select NO and complete the process. This resets the fuel remaining in the tank to the tank capacity amount that was input when the system was first set up. Gauges are also reset to show full.

In this process, you NEVER input the amount of fuel added unless you select the option to calibrate. That may be where someone has made a mistake.

If you input fuel added or select the option to calibrate at this time, it will change the K value and will show you the new value which is then confirmed.

Now, if you have only done a partial fill, then

Select refuel
              Select partial fill
              It then prompts you to input the actual amount.
              You do that, then complete the process.
              This option doesnt give you the calibrate option.

Now, since your K values have been messed up somehow, you can reset them back to factory settings.

Your C-10 manual should tell you how to do this. If not, your dealer should be able to tell you over the phone, but make sure you disclose that the K values are off and you want to reset back to factory settings. NOTE: what you are actually doing here resets the K values in the interface cables, not in the C10's, you are just using the C10's like a keyboard to reset the interface software. It wont change the C10 settings.

I seem to recall in the Simrad/Lowrance menu there were 2 ways to do this, one was simply an option in the network menu, select the particular engine interface, and see if you can find an option to reset in there. The other way is, in the same menu, to select unconfigure, then reconfigure that Interface. You will have to go thru the whole process of renaming the interfaces as port and starboard etc.

If you are not familiar or confident with this process, best to either get the desler to do it, or at least, get them on the phone while you are at the boat, so they can talk you thru it step by step. There is a bit to do.

This process will reset the K value to factory setting, and everything else back to factory settings, it will wipe all accumulated fuel used data at the same time.

This gets you back to a clean slate so you can start over fresh.

Now, once it is all done, what you want to do is refill both tanks to full, go fishing and burn a decent amount of fuel, say 1/4 tank on each engine, then go and refill again and check whether the amount used for each engine matches the actual it took to fill.

Then if necessary, calibrate each engine interface as described earlier. The K value will be adjusted and next time, your fuel flow and fuel used data will be more accurate. You may have to repeat this process 2 or 3 times to get the fuel flow/used data so it ends up 98 - 100% accurate. But it then will stay accurate.

Comment

Just repowered with twin 175s and c10 gauges. Trim % is very erratic. Tech from the dealer checked it out and came up with no fix.

Comment

I posted About the erratic readings for trim% in August of 2018. I have had no response so far. Something is wrong here. I know I'm not the only one. Dealer has been no help.

Comment

Same issue here

Comment

Originally posted by waterplay5995 View Post
                      Same issue here
                      You don’t have the same issue at all. You have SMG4 gauges, this post is about C-10.

C-10 operate on a NMEA2000 network via the Suzuki engine interface cable. SMG4 dont.

The 2 gauges operate on a completely different system so problem solving one is irrelevant to the other.

Comment

Working...
                      X