suzuki smis 4'' multi-function gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suzuki smis 4'' multi-function gauge

I have a 2009 Suzuki 175 motor. the gauge turns on with light and I get a gas remaining reading but all other readings are a dashed flashing line. what does the dashed flashing line mean? any ideas what's wrong? thanks

i can only speculate that the gauge has lost connection continuity with the engine interface cable

are you experiencing any other power related issues?

Art

Comment

When I was getting my gauge connected and working for the first time, I found that I got flashing dashed lines when I did not have the Engine Interface Cable (EIC) properly connected to the engine. Once I installed the correct SDC adapter cable between the engine diagnostic port and the EIC, the dashes became zeros (because the engine wasn't running). I believe Moonlighter (our expert) will confirm that the "Fuel Remaining" is stored in the EIC. So it sounds to me as though your connection between the gauge and the EIC is probably good (because you are seeing a Fuel Remaining value), but something is wrong with the connection between the motor and the EIC.

Was your gauge working previously? Or are you connecting it for the first time?

Comment

Yes, first, I would definitely check the physical connections between the network and the interface cable, and the interface cable and the engine's SDS port.

Cables may have been disconnected during a recent engine service, and not reconnected properly. So unplug them, check the wires are still firmly connected to their pins in the back of the plugs, and that the pins inside the plugs are free of corrosion. inspect, repair, clean as required, and reconnect firmly.

Also, check the network power supply. A poor connection, or low battery charge, can cause weird things like this to happen!

Some history of whether this is a new installation, or an existing one that was working and has stopped suddenly, whether any changes/additions to engine, or to the network, or to the interface cable or anything else, would greatly help us to help you. We cant guess these things so we rely on you to give us the full story!

Comment

the gauge was working fine until recently. I did just remove my batteries to charge them and when I reinstalled them shortly after I noticed gauge was not working properly.

Comment

no other power related issues.

Comment

this is not a new installation.

Comment

You did reconnect the infamous Suzuki white wire at the battery didn't you! This wire supplies power to the engine's ECU. make sure the wire is connected and the connector and wire itself is in good condition, no internal corrosion.

This is critical because the interface cable gets power from the engine's ECU: So poor power to the ECU from the white wire = poor power to the interface cable = problems with data to the display. And usually, an engine not running very well, either.

So double check battery connections and make sure they are clean and tight. Use hex nuts and tighten with a spanner, not wing nuts!

As was mentioned in an earlier post, the interface cable stores the fuel data, so your symptoms suggest that the network and the SMIS display is seeing the interface cable and working OK, but the network is not connecting through to the engine itself.

So its very important to still check/inspect those interface cable connections as mentioned earlier, especially the connections at the engine end (SDS connection and adapter cable connections). It may be that one of them may be corroded, loose or a wire broken.

If all of that makes no difference, it is possible that the interface may have lost configuration with the battery disconnected. So go into the network menu, device list and reset the engine configuration - set engine hp, location etc.

If all that doesn't work then most likely the interface cable itself may be faulty, may have got spiked when batteries removed/replaced?

Good luck, hope the suggestions above help, let us know how you go.

Comment

Working...
                X