DF 250 Drive Shaft Splines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF 250 Drive Shaft Splines

I have a DF 250 that has stripped the splines from the top of the drive shaft. This is the third shaft this has happened to in five years. I did not hit anything either time. The first two lasted two years each and now this one did it in only one year. A certified suzuki mechanic changed the first two , but now I'm wondering if he is missing something that is causing this. I have kept outboards as long as ten years and never had this happen to one. Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause. Do these drive shafts fit directly into the crankshaft or is there some kind of coupler between them. I have seen this happen to stern drives but their shafts move in and out when they are trimmed and the engines can get out of alignment. I am stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated. Have a good day.

Striped Drive Shaft

If you are having this much trouble the driven gear and drive shaft should be both changed. The shaft should be lubed with water proof grease and also the shaft bushing. To replace the driven gear the power head needs to be removed. The timing set up to replace driven gear to loosen chain. I have driven gear in stock and also refurbished drive shafts where the bushing has worn into the shaft. I can also order a new shaft. I am in Miami. Suzuki Dealer Power cats of Miami.

Comment

stripped drive shaft

thank you for your reply larrysuzuki. I'm in process of removing powerhead, and will check with you about parts. I have noticed there are three different shafts, which I guess is length difference. Can this be determined by serial number or do I have to wait until shaft removed from gearcase. would like to get parts ordered asap.

Comment

gear splines 2005 df250

Waterman,

I too have recently had spline damage to the drive gear. Instead of shredding the drive shaft splines the drive shaft shredded the upper gear splines. I read that you have removed your powerhead and I'm sure you are finished with this project since it was dated Oct. of 2010. I was wondering if you could help me through the process and any difficulties you had. was the gear pressed into the block or bolted in? did you just mark the time chain location before removal and replacement? any info would be helpful. thanks.
        Dave

Comment

df250 lower foot will not come off

I just replace the drive shaft in my df 250 and had to replace the upper end also.
          Now I was trying to drop the lower unit off the other one and it is stuck. I am wondering if the seal is bad and salt water is getting to where the shaft meets the other splines in the upper end.

help!!!

Comment

I couldn't remove the lower unit from my DF225 recently. Here's my post on that issue in another forum if you want more details.
            I had to cut the drive shaft.
            I purchased the boat used and the knucklehead who owned it previously figured there was no need to change water pumps every few years.
            I'm paying the price now.

Good luck.

Comment

had to cut shaft also, now I got to figue out what cause this.

Comment

Working...
              X