Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long should a motor take to discharge water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long should a motor take to discharge water?

I bought a 1984 Suzuki DT115 this summer and I have no maintence records since the previous owner who died about 10 years ago. I know I needed to replace the water pump at some point, but hadn't yet.

The motor starts easy and runs good. It seems like it's taking longer to see it peaing water out the discharge everytime i go out. The last time I took it out it seemed like it took two minutes before I saw water going out with muffs on the motor in the yard. I didn't really time it, but it seemed like it took awhile.

So last week I was going to wintize it and no water after two or three minutes....I didn't really time it.

I ordered a water pump kit last week and installed it yesterday. I ran my motor for two minutes(actual time) and shut it off. The previous impeller was intact, and show some wear but not missing anything. Yes, the impleller fins are facing the right direction.

I live in Nebraska and it's getting really to freeze in the next couple of weeks. I didn't have an troubles this summer when it was hot out, and hoping there is type of thermostat control the water flow? I shut it off everytime before the heads got hot and they felt just warm. So there shouldn't been any damage.

No sand or mud in the water pump housing.

Can some please help?

Thanks Shane

Please someone help me out.....Am I just shutting the motor off before the thermostat opens up or is it a stuck thermostat.

I really want to fix this before we have a hard freeze.

Thanks

Comment

I'm not sure about the older 2 strokes, but the thermostat has no effect on water coming out the tell tale in the newer 4 strokes. The tell tale in today's 4 stroke Suzuki comes almost directly off the pump, and the stat, whether open or closed has no effect. The water to the tell tale only goes through the oil cooler before going out the tell tale. That's why the water out of the tell tale is so much cooler that the water coming out of the prop hub. I don't know why your stream takes so long, but if you're sure there's no overheating I wouldn't worry about it much. And one other question I have .... are you talking about this delay only on the muffs, or also when you're running the boat? If it's slow just when it's on the muffs, but comes on fairly quickly in the water, I definitely wouldn't let it bother me. Also, do you turn the spigot on full enough that the water is forced out around the edges of the muffs? Make sure the hose is putting out enough water.
      Last edited by Harper; 11-11-2015, 12:38 AM.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Why not take out the thermostat and run the engine i freshwater. Then let engine empty itself for some minutes befor tilting...?

Comment

That's not likely to do anything to help the tell tale stream situation.

When the stream finally does start, is it strong, especially at running RPMs, or just a dribble?
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I did buy new muffs when I first noticed the slower flow of water. I also run the hose wide open with the muffs when starting the motor. I trying holding the muffs tight with my hands for a good seal, and still no water. Last Sunday I did try my old muffs which I know worked in the past.....still no water.

I looked at the motor quickly last night and it looks like I have to remove the cylinder head cover to replace the thermostat?

This motor is old but extremely clean, compaired to every youtube video I watched. I tell everyone its the boat the little old guy drove to church. The water pump housing was very clean and still bright yellow.

I'll try to run it this weekend in cutoff barrel and see what happens.

As far as the pee stream...I wouldn't call it strong, but maybe a little weak. doesn't seem to get harder at higher RPM's....that I can remember.

There should be water running out of the exhaust....correct? I really didn't pay attention sunday, but I will this weekend. If water is coming out of the exhaust it will not overheat.....correct. That will confirm the water pump is working and flowing water thru the block....correct.

Thanks everyone!!!!!

Comment

Yes, there should be water coming out the exhaust in the prop hub, and once the motor is up to temp and the thermostat is open that water will get fairly hot. The water in the pee stream, by comparison, would normally be noticeably cooler. While you would see the water coming out of the prop hub even before you start the motor, you aren't likely to see any pee stream until the motor, and hence the pump, is running. That's what the pee stream is for, an indicator of a working pump. It does not necessarily indicate a properly functioning cooling system, since you could have a strong stream, and still have an overheat problem, due to scale buildup in the water jacket or a faulty thermostat.

My first inclination would be to suspect a slight blockage in the passages that run from the pump to the tell tale, rather than to mess with the thermostat. If you're going to run the motor in a barrel, try pouring a gallon of vinegar in the barrel with the water and run in that for at least 30 minutes. Once through with that, run clean water through the motor. You might be able to descale it just enough to get a better stream.
              Mike
              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Looks like everything is working correctly, once i stopped using the muffs. I assumed on this Suzuki model the water doesn't come out of the prop hub? I had a very strong stream out of the tell tale as soon as I started it up. Then water started coming out of the area I circled in red, once the thermostat opened up....about 1 or 2 minutes.

I'm still interested in changing the thermostat, but I believe I would have to pull the head cover to get to the thermostat....is that correct?

The best I can tell with my parts book it looks like the thermostat is in the area I circled in red. Has anyone ever changed the thermostat on this model before? Looks like there is a ton of bolts if I have to pull the power head. I have seen picture of another year's of the DT115 and it looks like just 4 bolts and small plate just covering the thermostat.....but I think this is a one solid head plate
                Last edited by akareddog95; 11-17-2015, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X