Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lower unit damage. How bad is it, and what can you really tell from the pic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower unit damage. How bad is it, and what can you really tell from the pic?

I have my eye on a boat -- looks like one of the lower units took a hit.

Check out the pictures... what are your thoughts? (If any.) -- I know, not a lot of info -- I went to look over the boat before/if we survey it and found it. Boat appears to run fine -- but that doesn't mean a thing, I think. LOL.

Thanks,
    Pete
    Last edited by DippinPete; 11-15-2015, 03:56 PM.

While it's hard to tell from your pictures just what the extent of the damage is, it looks fairly minor. If you can get them, better pictures, with it completely out of the water and lowered to a more normal position would help. Have you looked at it any better then the pictures would indicate to us? i.e., have you seen it out of the water? If there's no leakage of differential fluid, and no water in the fluid (drain at least some fluid and look at it) then I'd consider it no more than a ding, and nothing more than cosmetic. It could even be filled with something like marine JB Weld and sanded smooth and repainted and you wouldn't even be able to tell it was dinged. In any case I would not consider buying it until I had seen the lower unit out of the water, where I could examine it thoroughly.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks Mike!! If we get to survey I'll be sure and do as instructed!

Comment

Working...
      X