Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How common is the seized shaft issue with DF250s (2006)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How common is the seized shaft issue with DF250s (2006)?

So I've been reading just enough to scare myself. LOL... I'm looking at pair of 2006 DF250s with about 365 hours on them.

I've been reading about motors that, for whatever reason (improper service/greasing) the shafts get stuck in the splines and you get the honor of cutting the shaft, pulling the head, etc.

I know there's no science to my question... but for lack of a better way to put it -- just how common is this?

I assume the only way to find out if your motors are effected is to pull the bolts at survey and see if she slides loose?

Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Pete

I've heard this issue discussed widely on THT forum. A couple of major dealers (Outboard Specialties and International Marine mentioned that they see it quite infrequently, although it does happen. It seems to be common in engines that have not been serviced frequently and the leg dropped to change water pumps at least every couple of years.

I'd suggest it might be worthwhile having the sale made "subject to" your nominated mechanic dropping the leg and being able to satisfactorily remove the shafts.

If that works then there are updated parts available to help prevent the problem occurring, and a regular annual procedure of dropping the leg removing the shaft and greasing thoroughly is then all that's required.

You may even be able to inquire with the current owner if they are aware of the issue and have had the updated parts installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
      I've heard this issue discussed widely on THT forum. A couple of major dealers (Outboard Specialties and International Marine mentioned that they see it quite infrequently, although it does happen. It seems to be common in engines that have not been serviced frequently and the leg dropped to change water pumps at least every couple of years.

I'd suggest it might be worthwhile having the sale made "subject to" your nominated mechanic dropping the leg and being able to satisfactorily remove the shafts.

If that works then there are updated parts available to help prevent the problem occurring, and a regular annual procedure of dropping the leg removing the shaft and greasing thoroughly is then all that's required.

You may even be able to inquire with the current owner if they are aware of the issue and have had the updated parts installed.
      Thanks for the info Moonlighter!

Comment

Working...
      X