Dunked my 2.5 HP kicker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunked my 2.5 HP kicker

2.5HP 4-stroke DF 2.5 model, 1 cylinder.

Got distracted while operating tiller extension, motor slipped off the transom, hanging near surface on a short leash, powerhead touching the surface. Pulled it in, paddled back to the village. It's a village in the middle of nowhere, forget about "dealership".

Local mechanic drained the carburetor pan, pulled out the spark plug. Pulled the rope, water spitting out of cylinder, not much. No water in the built-in gas tank, no water in oil. Cleaned the spark plug, sprayed WD40 in cylinder, put the plug back in, pulled the starter. Runs as usual. Now, he says, let it run for 10 minutes, to get rid of remaining water vapor wherever it is. That's all.

One thing I don't understand. Water - SEA WATER - got sucked in the cylinder through the carb.
    - Wouldn't be salt and other deposits in there, should we open the cylinder and carb and clean?
    - Do you have new gaskets with you, he asks. Good question ... Of course, I don't.

- No worries, he says - whatever crap was sucked in, will burn out or spit out with exhaust.

Few weeks later, looks like he was right. No problems. Except for one. After starting, it's running nice on Idle in Neutral. Choke on cold, no choke on hot - all as usual. As soon as I put it in gears, it's trying to die unless I open throttle a little. Carburetor needs cleaning, or idle RPM needs adjustment? Or both?

Btw, I read that you need to adjust idle RPM every time you clean the carb.

Salt water effects

The only thing you have to worry about was what your mechanic already took care of.
    Spray the outside of the power head with a 100% silicone spray, too. All ends of wires should be wrapped in a shrink wrap or covered from water by the factory. Copper wires can get mucked up when exposed to salt water, but that's usually over a long period of time. Cleaning out the engine insides by pulling plug and daining carb plus running for a while should take care of it. Submersion for long periods is what you worry about.
    I'm sure electricians would tell you to spray off exposed wire ends with electrical contact cleaner. Something you can't find far away from civilization.

Comment

Thanks. I have electrical silicone dielectric grease, should work same well as spray.

Comment

Working...
      X