Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF25 has been sitting .. What to do B4 starting

Noob could use some advice ..

Have a DF25 that hasn't been started in 2+ years. Believe the model year is 2003 or 2004. Don't think it was prepped for long-term storage, so what should I do before trying to start it up? Ideas that come to mind:
    a) pull the plugs & squirt some oil in the plug holes then try turning it over with no plugs, no fuel.
    b) ???

Don't know what else to attempt before trying to fire it (other than maybe a fresh oil change), so advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by TxAg66; 12-07-2015, 01:55 AM. Reason: Added model year
    ---
    John

I'm maybe not best expert on this subject
    But besides changing both the engine oil and lower unit oil
    Some fogging oil in the cylinder heads should not hurt and turn it over by hand a few times
    Fuel - drain everything fuel filters hoses high pressure pump
    Fuel rails Assuming it is efi
    Make sure your fuel tank is only fresh gas- toss out or run through your car any old fuel

I would suggest a new fuel filter as well
    You maybe able to clean it but it could be gunked up with dried fuel residue
    I can't think of anything more
    Artu

Comment

I would add to Art's list a new water pump impeller. Sitting unused for that long, the current one is likely to have set into shape and may have hardened. Water is the lifeblood of the engine and for the sake of the cost of a new impeller, I wouldn't risk it.

Also, that will mean that you drop the leg too. Again, a good idea to drop the leg at least every 2 years, change gearbox oil and grease up splines and bolts etc with fresh grease or anti/seize while you are there.

Comment

Working...
      X