Clean up a SS prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean up a SS prop

Is it ok to sand the edges of a SS prop? I just want to take out a couple of very small nicks on the edge. I am planning to use some 400 grit sandpaper on a wood block. Bad day, boat is out for the winter.Worse day, I guess I going to have to paint the kitchen
    Thanks
    John

It should be okay to sand if the dings aren't too deep. Just be sure that you're not taking enough metal off to effect the balance. When my boat and motor were fairly new and I was inexperienced enough to run aground a time or two, I dinged my SS prop pretty good. I used a file on it, but was concerned about balance. I couldn't feel any vibration, but it kept gnawing at me. I sent the prop to Prop MD https://www.propmd.com/propeller-repair-service He did a terrific job, I had it back within ten days of shipping it to him, and it looked brand new. Welded, pitch and cup adjusted if necessary, balanced and polished, all for $155 including shipping both ways, or $130 and you pay shipping. That was for a 16" diameter prop. Smaller props cost less.
    Last edited by Harper; 12-09-2015, 03:42 PM.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks Mike
      Cleaned up real well, with light sand paper on a block of wood
      Happy holidays to all.
      John

Comment

Working...
      X