Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki 140 runs at half throttle and then runs fine

Hello,
    I have a 2011 Suzuki 140 outboard. I was out this weekend and it ran fine....until...I started it and it would not give me full throttle even though I had the throttle lever full open. I let up and tried again but it just gave me "maybe" half throttle. I did another drift and started it and it ran fine. It ran fine for 3 or 4 more passes. Then it did it again and would not give me full throttle. I stopped and turn off the motor and restarted it and it then gave me full throttle. So, restarting it did something. Any idea what is causing this? something electronic??

Likely that the neutral throttle switch on the engine is loose or broken. This means the ecu is not getting the signal that it is in gear so it restricts the engine to about 3000rpm. Seems to be a not uncommon problem.

New part is cheap and not difficult to replace. Ckick on the “Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts” at the top of this dorum and find your engine and see the parts listing, you will find it there and can purchase.

Comment

Running nice and smooth but low RPM or running rough and sounded labored? Not sure on a 2011 but I believe it uses 2 coils to fire 4 cylinders, if it drops a coil, you just went to 70hp more or less. That will be rough if that's the case

Comment

Seemed to run fine...just not full out RPM. I first thought my throttle cable had messed up and was not getting to full throttle. Weird. Cuz just stopping and turning it off...then restarting "re-set" it or something because then it would go full throttle. I also thought maybe it was a safety thing and I had like low oil or such. I had just checked it before we went out and I pulled the cover and rechecked it when it did this...oil was fine. So, not sure what is was than would not allow it to go full throttle twice when out there. It worked fine most of the time....but those two times it did it are troubling.....I have to figure out what the "neutral throttle switch" looks like and check it out. Possibly loose you think? Broken? In hopes it is cheap and order one to replace it. These issues that happen on and off are frustrating.

Comment

Use the “Buy Suzuki Outboard parts” link at the top of the forum, select you engine year and model and you will find a parts list. You will find the part listed there.

Your symptoms do sound very much like the NTS either broken or loose. It will be worse, so best ro find it and if any doubt, replace. Its on the gear linkages, starboard side of engine.

edit: i looked it up for you. Assuming yours is a DF140A model, the part is #6 on this page:
          http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Su...NIT/parts.html

2011 was the changeovr year between the DF140 and the DF140A. Check your engine ID plate to find out which model you have if not sure.
          Last edited by Moonlighter; 03-06-2018, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Thank you guys very much...I will get this ordered and replace it....

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X