C10 Fuel Rate burn problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C10 Fuel Rate burn problem

Twin DF200As with a pair of C10 gauges installed April 2017. Set up with 2 fuel tanks.

Been using it over the summer and refueled numerous times and calibrating the rate most times. The system was slowly getting more and more accurate on the fuel consumption. Refueled in November before a fishing trip and calibrated the gauges as usual, but it didn’t seem to take. So, I started over and tried a couple more times. I eventually tried to reset everything. Now the Fuel Rate rapidly runs up to 999.9 gallons per hour and, of course, the Fuel used goes immediately to the full 230 gallons and stops there. At that point I get wildly weird Fuel rate numbers with a negative value. I don’t know if I screwed something up or if the system just wigged out.

I tried several times resetting back to defaults through the menu and by holding the UP and Down keys while restarting. Neither method seemed to do the trick to reset the fuel rate. A local dealer also reset the C10 gauges back to factory defaults in an attempt to fix the fuel burn rate problem while I had it in for service in January. It is obvious he did something because my custom page setup on the gauges is gone and it is back to original setup except for hours. However, the fuel rate problem has not changed.

Help please. Thanks.
    1999 Regulator 26 with 2017 DF200s

The problem is not the gauges, it is the engine interface. Your dealer should know this stuff........

Please understand that the gauges just display what the engine sends to them via the interface cables. If it gets wrong data, that is what they will display.

The first thing to do is go into the menu, network device list and select each of the Suzuki devices. Open. Then select the reset option, this is resetting the INTERFACE back to factory (not the gauge). Do this for both engines.

That should reset the fuel flow back to what it was at the start.

Then start the engines on the muffs and see if the fuel flow rate looks realistic.

If it is good, then go and run as normal and then recalibrate if required. BUT ONLY RECLAIBRATE A MAX OF 3-4 times!! That should be emough to get fuel data that is very close to 100% accurate. Doing it multiple times is a mistake, and you found out the result of doing it too many times from your own experience.

Comment

Thank you. I will be back down on the boat Saturday to give it a try.

Comment

Was able to successfully reset the fuel flow as instructed and after setting tank to full again, it worked just fine while the engines were running. However, I have to reset it every time I start up the engines.
        Maybe I need to reset the fuel used or something else, too?

Comment

It is very difficult to diagnose such problems from a distance ...... and I have not heard of the symptoms you now describe before. Weird. Who installed the network and gauges? I would check the physical installation to make sure the power supply to the network and the T’s are installed properly, and the network is terminated at both ends.

Anyway, yes, you should reset fuel to full. Then test again and see if the fuel used amount looks right. It should retain this data regardless of how many times the engines are stopped and started. But first, check that the network has retained boat setup details such as number of engines and fuel tanks, and tank capacities. This all needs to be right to make it work. May be an area to cause your issues.

If that doesnt fix it, think its time for your dealer to get on the phone to a skilled Suzuki technical rep and, while on board in front of the screens, to work thru the issue with them and get it sorted.

best wishes
          Last edited by Moonlighter; 03-26-2018, 08:13 PM.

Comment

The ultimate fix was new Engine Interface cables.

Some early problems with gauge functionality upon installation was blamed on engine interface cables. Now this comes up about 9 months later. Makes me wonder if they had a bad batch of cables. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Comment

I suspect that your dealer installed the wrong version interface cables from the get-go.

There are 2 current and several old versions of the cables, and the critical factor is to select the cable running the correct software version to suit the engine year.

The correct cable version for 2017 engines is V3.5.0. They may have installed V2.9.0 which will never work properly with a 2017 engine.

Anyway, good that you have got it sorted out.

BTW you should not need to calibrate more than 3-4 times to get fuel data that is 99.5% accurate or better.

When resetting the system after filling the fuel tanks, select “set to full” and do not enter in the amount of fuel added (unless you are calibrating).

The only times you enter in an amount of fuel added are

1. when you only add some fuel but not to full, or

2. when you are calibrating.

If you enter in an amount of fuel added when resetting to full, you will mess up the calibration.
              Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-06-2018, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Moonlighter, thanks for this post thread.. I've been searching the forum and have only found this thread related to the inaccurate fuel consumption reading. I've reset the interface back to factory and it did not fix the problem. These are 2019 engines and I believe the interface cables were fixed by 2019, yes? Just trying to figure out what my next diagnosis steps are.

Comment

Originally posted by wesmadden View Post
                  Moonlighter, thanks for this post thread.. I've been searching the forum and have only found this thread related to the inaccurate fuel consumption reading. I've reset the interface back to factory and it did not fix the problem. These are 2019 engines and I believe the interface cables were fixed by 2019, yes? Just trying to figure out what my next diagnosis steps are.
                  Please explain your problems fully.

Comment

The fuel consumption reading jumps all over the place and has not been reporting correctly since day one. That's pretty much the problem. Everything seems to be working correctly except for burn rate.

Comment

Originally posted by wesmadden View Post
                      The fuel consumption reading jumps all over the place and has not been reporting correctly since day one. That's pretty much the problem. Everything seems to be working correctly except for burn rate.
                      1. What gauges and other displays do you have on your network?

2. what version software is your interface cable running? You can determine this on C10 or Simrad displays by going menu/system/network/device list then select the engine interface, open it, and the software version is listed there. Report back with details please.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post

1. What gauges and other displays do you have on your network?

2. what version software is your interface cable running? You can determine this on C10 or Simrad displays by going menu/system/network/device list then select the engine interface, open it, and the software version is listed there. Report back with details please.
                        3.5.0-MZ1620C-B1.0

I've got two Simrad NSS EVO3s and a AP44/NAC-3 Autopilot on the network.

Comment

Version 3.5.0 had some issues with stability. There is a new version available 3.5.04 that can be uploaded to your cable thru your Simrad NSS display. With some luck, that will fix your fuel related problems.

Here is a link to my dropbox folder where I saved a copy of 3.5.04 a while ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xntlvtkou...20V3-5-04?dl=0

Dont try to open the file, just download it on your PC copy it straight to a SD card that will fit in your NSS, make sure its no greater than 32GB size or it wont work.

Put the card into the NSS then in the NSS menu, find the files menu and locate the SD card. Make sure the engine key is on so the network is active. Select the downloaded software file and select upload. A progress bar will show the upload being done. When its finished, go back into the Device list and open the Suzuki engine again and double check that the software version has changed to 3.5.04. While you are there make sure the engine location is set as centre.

Exit, then go and test it and fingers crossed its fixed.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
                            Version 3.5.0 had some issues with stability. There is a new version available 3.5.04 that can be uploaded to your cable thru your Simrad NSS display. With some luck, that will fix your fuel related problems.

Here is a link to my dropbox folder where I saved a copy of 3.5.04 a while ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xntlvtkou...20V3-5-04?dl=0

Dont try to open the file, just download it on your PC copy it straight to a SD card that will fit in your NSS, make sure its no greater than 32GB size or it wont work.

Put the card into the NSS then in the NSS menu, find the files menu and locate the SD card. Make sure the engine key is on so the network is active. Select the downloaded software file and select upload. A progress bar will show the upload being done. When its finished, go back into the Device list and open the Suzuki engine again and double check that the software version has changed to 3.5.04. While you are there make sure the engine location is set as centre.

Exit, then go and test it and fingers crossed its fixed.

cheers
                            Thanks a million. I'm on it and will report back.

Comment

Hey Moonlighter, Dumb question: What file type does this file need to be? My NSS won't recognize the file as an importable file?

Comment

Working...
                              X