Power Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Loss

I have an older Suzuki 115hp outboard motor. Cruising across the lake at 1/2 throttle and it's like it was thrown into neutral? It will run about 5 mph and if you throttle down there is no response. No sputtering, no rough idle,plugs aren't fouled out. I replaced the fuel filter but it still will only go about 5 mph? Any ideas?

Power Loss

Same thing happened to me with 2002 DF70 late this year. 3600 rpm down to idle, no throttle response. It would not power up again !! Pulled the boat for the year and took to my dealer to winterize and find problem. They could find no problem runnig it on the muffs. They put the boat in the water & went for a test run and again couldn't replicate the problem. Drained all gas and cleaned VST. Replaced filters and "O" rings. Winterized, new anodes and now $720 later I am keeping my fingers crossed for spring launch !!!

Comment

is the prop spun

Comment

yep spun prop hub
        HUMAN-BUILT = HUMAN-FIXED

SWITCHBAIT

Comment

Power Loss

Wouldn't the RPM's stay up but the boat doesn't go ??

RPM's on the tach went back down to idle and would not rise..IE: NO throttle response. It seems to me if the prop was spun, the engine would take the gas and the RPM's would go up. The prop shaft would spin but the prop blades would not ???

Advise if my thinking is flawed please ........

Thanks, Gary

Comment

wait

so the RPM's went down also

SWITCHBAIT

Comment

Power Los

After re-reading the first post it sounds like the originator of this thread and I had different problems. He said it was like throwing a car into neutral. I take that as RPM's rev'd and no speed. I agree with mitch and JUST-IN-TIME. He must have a spun prop.

I had a different problem. My Rpm's dropped to idle and would not respond to the throttle. When I increased throttle it stayed at idle. Just read in another thread that someone said the engine oil might have been OVERFILLED. I have two dimples or dots on my dipstick. The oil level was at least the distance between the two dots above the top dot. Does this mean overfilled ??? and how would this shut down the engine to idle ???

Thanks guys for the replys, this is my first outboard. Everyone told me Suzukis were bulletproof !! I hope so !!

Comment

Power Loss

Have the boat back from dealer getting winterized for the end of the season. They said there was definatle "bad" gas in the system. They drained the tank. Also cleaned the vst ? Some "O" rings & filters were all crapped up.

Anyway, should be good to go in the spring. Still curious about being over filled on engine oil. Would that shut me down to idle RPM's and not allow me to power up ??

Comment

use a stabilizer and drain gas if not used in weeks

SWITCHBAIT

Comment

reduce to idle ..........over filled with oil ...............No why would it................. Fail safe is at 3000 rpm.............

but it can cause other problems like engine not obtaining correct operating temp and ............MAKING OIL with unburnt engine fuel build up in sump.

Comment

Working...
                    X